Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Dream Called Pakstan..........

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Why do you cringe? He can speak his mind and that speaks volumes about Pakistan. Secondly, if he was such a big anti-state personality, the previous military regime would not have let him get off so easily. Musharraf government released him after he was sent to jail for ticking off NS and in return being hauled off on some charges of sedition which obviously were not proved in a court of law. At least this is my recollection of Najam Sethi's case. He is a reasonable guy and questions some of the standard story lines, which in my mind should be done to make people realize that there are alternate and counter PoVs. Others can label him a "secularist", "anti-state", etc. etc., but in my mind I am not convinced that he really falls under these categories.

Edited by SSAAD

Posted · Report post

Hamid Mir ran a story a day after the PNS Mehran attack about an individual who allegedly claimed that the attackers were active servicemen of PAF & PN. Hamid Mir interviewd this person, two days later this guy retracted his story. Every TV channel aired the retraction including GEO and Hamid Mir never apologized. Najim Sethi also spoke about this guy and said there is crediable evidence that this was an inside job.

I e-mail Najim with CC to Hamid Mir but none of them replied (which is normal amongst the Pakistanis people in positions). They both attested to each other theories but never took the to clearify why did they report in the first place.

Posted · Report post

The attackers supposedly had help from individuals who had served with the Navy at the very same base some years ago. This to a certain extent qualifies as "insider" help. That chap was arrested and, as far as I know, is still being held as it is suspected that he provided crucial information to the attackers. While I see your point, but in Pakistan, journalists tend to push the hear say quite often without corroborating.

Posted · Report post

Saad, you are mixing two different issues, yes, there was arrest of an ex-serviceman with regard to PNS Mehran attack but there was another interview done by Hamid mir in which he went to an individuals home in Pindi, in which that individial accused two servicemen of hatching up the attack.

Posted · Report post

Ok understood. So Hamid Mir told an unsubstantiated story and Sethi propagated this out to his audience? Is this what we are saying about these two?