Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

JF-17 Related Discussion - 2011

988 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

10 JF.17's landed a few days back,I was standing near the runway and saw them coming in for landing.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the link! I had not stumbled upon this post on Defence.pk. Sadly I don't have a proper ultra zoom or a DSLR camera to take snaps of these beauties in the sky.

Someone told me from now on we'll get to see them flying.. indicating that either a squadron has been raised in Peshawar or shifted from Kamra.

Posted · Report post

Taimikhan,

Good post. However I do want to point out that having the Chinese platforms and the Western platforms talking to each other indirectly (or through a medium) does not mean the PAF would require a "Ground Control". Both of the AEW platforms are capable of full command, control and Intercept. Usually GC has a connotation that the picture in the air would be developed on the ground from inputs received from various nodes in the air and then this information will then be used to conduct vectoring and interception duties. The reality is that this is the exact architecture that PAF is trying to move away from and reduce the much talked about delay in the "sensor to shooter grid". The way this is to be accomplished by the PAF is by maintaining full Command Control and Intercept capability in the air and only use a "ground relay" station/s for moving the data between the Chinese and Swedish AEW platforms. The data can obviously be sent around on the ground to various terminals including (hopefully) those of the sister services. One of the biggest indications of this plan was given by the previous CAS when he said that since Pakistan does not have any "offensive" designs, which would require direct communication between all aircraft and AEW platforms (think expeditionary forces or power projection here), PAF's focus is on putting all of the assets together to develop the big picture in the air over Pakistan by relaying the information through relay stations on the ground.

Sir, unfortunately, the Erieye is not a full fledged command and control station, thus it needs GCS for other duties. Its placed on a small twin engine aircraft, thus due to scarcity of the space on the aircraft, its not able to do all the functions, thus GCS is to be used for Erieye. And ZDK-03 would be more superior in the command and control section as its based on a big aircraft, a four engine aircraft, thus it can accommodate more work stations and men to support it.

GCS are in the strategy of the PAF as they are working on, rather they have implemented a centralized system, in which data from all the airborne as well as ground stations is displayed at a central location, thus giving a clear picture of the happening in the Pakistani airspace, thus it will help in better command and control, and may be in future the Army AD is also made a part of it, so that they can also know of what's happening in the air space they are protecting.

Well am not much of a technical person in the communication system, but i did got good news or in affirmative node from concerned persons about the possibility of data communication between different aircraft in PAF, involving western and the eastern ones. Hopefully, even the ZDK-03 would be having a western data communication system. If we can make F-16s talk to Erieyes, since they both have western systems and follow western MIL-STD protocols, then why can't we make JF-17s & ZDK-03 equipped with western communication systems and based on western MIL-STD protocols talk with F-16s or even Erieye.

Posted · Report post

Chinese Military aviation (http://cnair.top81.cn/J-10_J-11_FC-1.htm) is claiming and improved version of JF17 with a stealth optimized forward fuselage is being developed. Does any one know anything more on this ,

Posted · Report post

Chinese Military aviation (http://cnair.top81.cn/J-10_J-11_FC-1.htm) is claiming and improved version of JF17 with a stealth optimized forward fuselage is being developed. Does any one know anything more on this ,

On Chinese developments This site (Quite Contrary to its ugly outlooks)have very good past record.

Posted · Report post

If this turns out to be true, what benefits are there of an 'optmised foward fuselage'?

ndad

Posted · Report post

It probably means frontal reduced RCS only, not side or back.

Posted · Report post

It is the same plane that was dropping fueltanks and bombs (pitot tube and DSI/LERX). Still nice to see some confirmation.

Posted · Report post

On Chinese developments This site (Quite Contrary to its ugly outlooks)have very good past record.

That site is quite reliable, he was bang on 100% right, with the J20 information.

Posted · Report post

Would like to request comments from members on one aspect. If forward RCS is being reduced, does that mean that we are probably looking at AESA radar for JF-17? (Radome of a conventional radar generates a lot of reflection.)

Posted · Report post

Would like to request comments from members on one aspect. If forward RCS is being reduced, does that mean that we are probably looking at AESA radar for JF-17? (Radome of a conventional radar generates a lot of reflection.)

The radar dish and cockpitglass are in case of the JF17 the major contributors of RCS. I think in case of JF17 the engine is not adding anything to the RCS. But one has not forget the draggy GS23 canon, the nose wheel doors and the extra intake above the DSI. Allso the leading edge and some more minor parts...

Posted · Report post

The July edition of Air Forces Monthly will carry a 24 (yes 24!) page special on the JF-17!!! It will be out on 2nd June.

Aziz

Posted · Report post

The radar dish and cockpitglass are in case of the JF17 the major contributors of RCS. I think in case of JF17 the engine is not adding anything to the RCS. But one has not forget the draggy GS23 canon, the nose wheel doors and the extra intake above the DSI. Allso the leading edge and some more minor parts...

Beside what Munir has already said, i think forward fuselage optimized for low RCS would mean that its not going to be a complete redesign which means that no wing redesign will be done or no internal bay for weapons. This in itself is a very good news as this approach will be low cost, low risk and not to forget can be done (seeing how Chinese were able to shift to DSI intake) in next 2 to 3 years and Upgraded JF-17 will be available to PAF after 100 to 150 JF-17s have been inducted.

This news (if true) has another side to it also and that is PAF is not sitting around waiting for things to happen rather their approach is aggressive and practical. They are investing in projects which need small investments to keep up until the better opportunities are available. Remember Russian PAK FA is schedule to enter into initial service in 2018-20 time frame and at in same time frame IAF will still be inducting MMRCA and LCA MK-II.

Posted · Report post

The July edition of Air Forces Monthly will carry a 24 (yes 24!) page special on the JF-17!!! It will be out on 2nd June.

Aziz

Thanks for that great news - can't wait --- where did you get this info??

Posted · Report post

Aziz

That would be great, i hope it will cover most of the questions regarding weapons integration and future plans of PAF about JF-17

Posted · Report post

JF-17 build-up progresses

April 12: A second squadron in the Pakistan Air Force is operational with the CAIC-PAC JF-17 Thunder fighter.

No 16 Squadron, previously equipped with the A-5 Fantan aircraft, was formally stood up yesterday with the Thunder at a ceremony at PAF Base Peshawar by the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman and was declared operational.

The PAF is thought to have 26 JF-17s operational from a requirement of up to 250 aircraft.

The July issue of AirForces Monthly will carry a 24-page special on the development of this joint Chinese/Pakistan fighter, on sale June 2

Posted · Report post

Aziz

If this does turn out to be true, then it is a good piece of advertising for the JF17 programme!!!

Posted · Report post

I am still waiting for the april edition... Looking already forward to the july edition. ;)

Posted · Report post

Its confirmed by Alan Warnes himself ----- 24 page JF-17 supplemant out late May -- supported by PAF with lots of exclusive pics:D

Posted · Report post

Its confirmed by Alan Warnes himself ----- 24 page JF-17 supplemant out late May -- supported by PAF with lots of exclusive pics:D

Yep, read your and his twitter account...

Posted · Report post

This is expected in future Blocks...

Infra-Red Search and Track

A Chinese infra-red search and track (IRST) system developed by the Sichuan Changhong Electric Appliance Corporation, the Type Hongguang-I (Rainbow Light-I) Electro-Optical Radar (虹光-Ⅰ型光电雷达), is integrated with the J-10. It is a third generation optronics system utilising a HgCdTe focal array with imaging infra-red (ImIR) capability. Receiving its certification on 3 March 2005 and subsequently entering service with the PLAAF, the system was revealed to the public one year later at a conference on the Sichuan province of China, during which the system was demonstrated to visiting officials. Based on the limited information released, Type Hongguang-I has a maximum range of 75 km.

Although the Type Hongguang-I was designed to be lighter and more compact than similar Russian systems so that it could be fitted in the nose of J-10 while leaving enough space for a suitable radar, the current production model J-10 does not have enough space and must carry a podded version externally on one of the aircraft's hardpoints. However, recently released images show a modified variant of the J-10 with what is believed to be an IRST device fitted to the upper starboard side of the nose (see Variants). Type Hongguang-I is also designed to be compatible with China's Shenyang J-11, Shenyang J-8 and Xian JH-7 combat aircraft, as well as the Xian H-6 bomber and Sino-Pakistani JF-17 light-weight fighter.

Posted · Report post

Coming to a Paris Air Show Near You: Su-30, JF-17 and More...

Posted by Robert Wall at 4/20/2011 10:27 AM CDT

The Paris Air Show organizers have provided an update on what aircraft are due to be at this year’s extravaganza.

There is now confirmed good news on the military front for those that have been bemoaning the absence of the Russian fighter industry: Sukhoi’s Su-30 will be making an appearance. One Su-30 will be there for both static and flight display purposes.

Also back after last year’s Farnborough outing is the Sino-Pakistani JF-17, one on static display and another for the flight display.

Absent this year will be the JAS-39 Gripen, somewhat unfortunately given that the aircraft is making its combat debut currently as part of the U.N. Resolution 1973 enforcement action in Libya.

Many of the other aircraft are long-time air show veterans, by now, such as the Aermacchi M-346 advanced jet trainer, the C-27J tactical transport and the Tiger attack helicopter.

The U.S. is bringing its air show staples: the C-17, C-130J, F-16C, F-15E, and E-3 Awacs. No V-22 or F-35 appearance is planned or expected. The F/A-18E/F Super Hornet currently is not listed to be there, either.

France, on its home turf and eager to sell the Rafale, will showcase the twin-engine fighter in multiple formats; at least four of them will be there, with one flying.

Also flying will be the Airbus Military 400M.

There are other aircraft that will also be around, such as the Pilatus PC-21 and AT802 light attack aircraft.

More on all of this in the coming weeks....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Oh dear, i might have to go to France then!!!! Damn. Was hoping they would miss Paris Airshow, and come to the UK and peform here in a display. The risk now is, that they donot come to Farnborough to perform in 2012!!!! :(

I do hope, they perform on the public days, and are not just restricted to trade days. Its a point of clarification we need !!

Seeing the Su30 perform(big fan of these!) would be the icing on the cake.. And Rafale, well i have never managed to see one, so that would be interesting.

Any one else going from the UK? What is the easiest way to get there and back? Anyone done the Paris Airshow run, from the UK[London?].

Edited by Gaf

Posted · Report post

Gaf I have never been to Paris but the best option is to take Eurostar train from waterloo .