Welcome to PakDef.org : Pakistan Military Consortium
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

India Shining ......... (lol)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

Gaf

Gaf

• Members
  • 3,232 posts
http://timesofindia....how/6595540.cms

Commonwealth Games Village unliveable, complain four countries

Rumu Banerjee, TNN, Sep 21, 2010, 12.29am IST
NEW DELHI: Amid all the gloom about chaotic preparations for the Commonwealth Games, there was at least one silver lining: the widespread applause for the "world class" Games Village at its soft launch on September 16. Unfortunately, the Organising Committee has run into a rude reality check even on this front.

New Zealand, Canada, Scotland and Ireland have objected strongly to the condition of the accommodation given to them, say highly placed sources. The reason - lack of maintenance of apartments in the towers allotted to these teams and their abysmal, "unliveable" condition, say team delegates. Toilets in particular are said to be in a "mess".

Sources said the apartments, which are left unlocked through the day and night, were found to be dirty. In some flats, labourers had defecated. In others, fixtures and other facilities were still to be provided. Though athletes are to start moving in after September 23, work in just 18 of the 34 towers is said to be complete. The advance teams are reportedly of the view that the remaining work is not likely to get over for weeks.

The delegates are learnt to have told the OC that unless the apartments are set right, their teams should be put up in a Games Family hotel - the Ashoka or Janpath - or some other accommodation. This could add to the OC's logistical problems.

1. Condition of Games Village has prompted delegates from New Zealand, Canada, Scotland and Ireland to issue ultimatum to OC

2. Apartments in towers allotted to these countries, especially Kiwis, filthy.

4. Site workers have been using the unlocked flats.

5. Toilets are stained, fixtures haven't been installed, don't work or are broken

6. Size of contingent: Canada 400, New Zealand 325, Scotland 300

7. Those happy with Village: Australia, England

Read more: Commonwealth Games Village unliveable, complain four countries - The Times of India http://timesofindia....1#ixzz106KlhRYB

Gaf

zeeshan

zeeshan

• Senior Members
  • 3,870 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
Assalamaoalukum,

Indians want to be a world superpower but cant provide functioning toilets. I guess they want Indian hospitality and culture displayed during these games i.e defecate in open!!

Footbridge collapse injures 23 in Indian capital

yahoo.com

By The Associated Press

NEW DELHI - A footbridge under construction near the Commonwealth Games main stadium in India's capital collapsed Tuesday, injuring at least 23 construction workers and throwing further doubt on the viability of next month's games.

The injured people, five of them in serious condition, were taken to hospitals, police officer H.G.S. Dhaliwal said.

The overhead bridge was to connect a parking lot with the main Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, which is to host opening and closing ceremonies as well as showpiece athletic events for the Oct. 3-14 games.

However, severe delays in the completion of the athletes' village have thrown the sporting event into jeopardy. Canada, New Zealand, Scotland and Ireland have described the accommodations as "unlivable," and the New Zealand delegation said Tuesday the village won't be ready for its official opening this week.

New Zealand team manager Dave Currie told radio network newstalkZB that New Delhi organizers "are in severe difficulties," identifying problems with cleanliness, plumbing, electrical wiring, Internet access and mobile phone coverage.

And as for man, when his Lord tries him and [thus] is generous to him and favors him, he says, "My Lord has honored me."

But when He tries him and restricts his provision, he says, "My Lord has humiliated me."

No! But you do not honor the orphan

And you do not encourage one another to feed the poor.

And you consume inheritance, devouring [it] altogether,

And you love wealth with immense love.

Surat Al-Fajr.(89:15-20).

ndad

ndad

• Members
  • 4,208 posts
thankfully they cant blame the collapsed bridge on pak. should something untoward happen during the games, the finger will almost certainly be pointed at pak, regardless of evidence!

ndad

SyedA

SyedA

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,389 posts

thankfully they cant blame the collapsed bridge on pak. should something untoward happen during the games, the finger will almost certainly be pointed at pak, regardless of evidence!

ndad

spoken too quick

http://www.pakistank...ndian-minister/

Gaf

Gaf

• Members
  • 3,232 posts
http://www.dailymail...facilities.html

Gaf

Gaf

Gaf

• Members
  • 3,232 posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk...h-asia-11379935

Gaf

zeeshan

zeeshan

• Senior Members
  • 3,870 posts
Assalamaoalukum,

may be DRDO built the collapsed bridge!!!

And as for man, when his Lord tries him and [thus] is generous to him and favors him, he says, "My Lord has honored me."

But when He tries him and restricts his provision, he says, "My Lord has humiliated me."

Gaf

Gaf

• Members
  • 3,232 posts
http://www.guardian....bridge-collapse

Gaf

Gaf

Gaf

• Members
  • 3,232 posts
http://www.independe...rs-2085228.html

Gaf

zeeshan

zeeshan

• Senior Members
  • 3,870 posts
Assal;amaoalukum,

please tell me this is all a joke...am I missing something???

‘England, Canada, Ireland etc complained about the state of the Games Village. Let me tell you now, we have done extensive investigation into this matter and have arrested two Pakistani nationals from the site who had littered the players residential units with graffiti, scrawling ‘Jiye Muttahida’ on the walls. Both were found to be carrying Lashkar-e-Tayba ID cards complete with serial numbers, barcodes and advanced data chips. They also left the toilets unflushed and it was obviously embarassing when the forward committees of these nations visited to inspect yesterday. Rest assured we have everything in control and will be DNA testing the samples collected from the toilet bowls, which will confirm Pakistani involvement in this great Indian embarrassment. They have literally pissed on our party’, said Kalmadi while speaking to NDTV.

Kalmadi had been referring to the demand by the CWG Federation to take immediate steps to improve conditions at the athlete’s village in Delhi.

Team delegates described the accommodation as filthy, unhygienic and unfit for human habitation.

Meanwhile Pakistan’s Interior Minister, when asked for comments, confirmed that he has ordered an investigation on his side.

‘Our sympathies are with our Indian brethren. We assure them of our full support. No one likes to come face to face with an unflushed toilet. It is disgraceful behaviour and I have requested India to send us the samples collected from the toilet bowls. I will compare them with what we have, I’m sure the Taliban are behind it. I have ordered an immediate investigation’, Malik said.

zeeshan

zeeshan

• Senior Members
  • 3,870 posts
Assal;amaoalukum,

please tell me this is all a joke...am I missing something???

‘England, Canada, Ireland etc complained about the state of the Games Village. Let me tell you now, we have done extensive investigation into this matter and have arrested two Pakistani nationals from the site who had littered the players residential units with graffiti, scrawling ‘Jiye Muttahida’ on the walls. Both were found to be carrying Lashkar-e-Tayba ID cards complete with serial numbers, barcodes and advanced data chips. They also left the toilets unflushed and it was obviously embarassing when the forward committees of these nations visited to inspect yesterday. Rest assured we have everything in control and will be DNA testing the samples collected from the toilet bowls, which will confirm Pakistani involvement in this great Indian embarrassment. They have literally pissed on our party’, said Kalmadi while speaking to NDTV.

Kalmadi had been referring to the demand by the CWG Federation to take immediate steps to improve conditions at the athlete’s village in Delhi.

Team delegates described the accommodation as filthy, unhygienic and unfit for human habitation.

Meanwhile Pakistan’s Interior Minister, when asked for comments, confirmed that he has ordered an investigation on his side.

‘Our sympathies are with our Indian brethren. We assure them of our full support. No one likes to come face to face with an unflushed toilet. It is disgraceful behaviour and I have requested India to send us the samples collected from the toilet bowls. I will compare them with what we have, I’m sure the Taliban are behind it. I have ordered an immediate investigation’, Malik said.

ndad

ndad

• Members
  • 4,208 posts
Zeeshan mate, surely thats not true.

On another note, the ceiling has now fallen down.

http://news.sky.com/...Safety_Concerns

ndad

ndad

ndad

• Members
  • 4,208 posts
The pics dont make for great viewing.

http://news.bbc.co.u...010/9025907.stm

ndad

H Rehman

H Rehman

• Members
  • 922 posts
Am I a bad person for feeling schadenfreude!
China dazzled in the Olympics and India fizzled in the Commonwealth games, I hope they rethink their superpowerdom claims a little bit.

As Commonwealth Games loom, 'unfit' athletes' village adds to India's problems

By Emily Wax and Rama Lakshmi
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, September 23, 2010; 1:35 PM
NEW DELHI - The Commonwealth Games were supposed to be India's grand coming-out party, an audition for a potential Olympic bid and a chance to show off its rising status as a superpower and serious rival to China.
But for all of India's high hopes, the games have become a source of national shame
Allegations of fraud, construction delays, budget overruns and security concerns have plagued the games for months. Then a series of incidents this week - including a bridge collapse and descriptions of the athletes' living quarters as filthy - added to India's troubles.
Even the theme song for the games was deemed disappointing.
Instead of looking scrubbed and polished, roads in the capital are still dug up, piles of rubble hiding unfinished work in what has become a symbol of the gaps between India's aspirations and the realities on the ground.
More than 7,000 athletes from 71 nations of the former British Empire are suppose to arrive here by Friday for the Oct. 3-14 games. But some have announced plans to withdraw, and New Zealand and Canada joined Scotland on Thursday in taking a wait-and-see approach.
"The games are officially a disaster. The people of India feel dejected. Instead of boosting our profile, we are now objects of pity around the world," said Boria Majumdar, a sports historian who has written a national bestseller about the games. "We have lost our chance at an Olympic bid for 2020. Who will trust India now?"
The centerpiece of a jaw-dropping opening ceremony - a $12 million helium balloon -is being hastily rejiggered because of an equipment malfunction, an official said. A smaller inner balloon, fitted with cameras to project images of 5,000 years of Indian culture and India's economic rise, burst in torrential rains and lightning.(made by our friend DRDO?)
"Now it is just a big expensive balloon," sighed the official.
Adding to India's headache, this year's monsoon rains have been the worst in decades. An outbreak of dengue fever, spread by mosquitoes, has killed five people and sickened 2,500 in the capital.
India's health minister, Gulam Nabi Azad, said pools of dirty water around construction sites "have become a breeding place for mosquitoes."
Delhi state government's health minister announced in August that the army would be called in to remove stagnate water from the athletes' village. But the government, worried that the army's presence would create panic, decided against the plan.
On Wednesday, the government reversed that decision, saying the army and the air force were desperately needed to pump water out of the village, which the chief executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation called "unfit for human habitation."
The monsoon has lasted longer than expected, bringing into question India's selection of October for the event in the first place.
"Elections, marriages and sporting events - we all know in India that these are best held in the month of November," after the rains, said M.S. Gill, India's sports minister.
Officials are praying for a night without rain so they can finish work. Workers at the main stadium received letters on Tuesday saying they would have to work seven days a week for more than 11 hours a day, a violation of the games' labor laws.
"The only legacy of the games would be the realization that we are not a modern nation," said a high-ranking consultant to the Commonwealth Games Organizing Committee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because his comments would jeopardize his job.
A portion of the ceiling at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, the main venue for the games, collapsed Wednesday, a day after a footbridge near the stadium crashed down, injuring 27 construction workers, six critically.
The same day, several star athletes - including England's world champion triple jumper Phillips Idowu - pulled out of the games after hearing about the conditions at the athletes' village.
Security concerns were heightened Sunday when gunmen fired on a tourist bus at the city's historic mosque, injuring two visitors. The gunmen remain at large.
"It's enough to have to worry about performing, but to worry where you sleep and walk is another thing," said Dani Samuels, an Australian discus world champion who withdrew this week.
In an effort to save the games, Mike Fennell, the federation's president, arrived Thursday for a meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, whose office took over the city's preparations last month.
Oscar winner A.R. Rahman, a national hero for his "Slumdog Millionaire" hit song "Jai Ho," was paid $1 million to compose the game's theme song. But critics said it lacked the energy of Shakira's "Waka Waka," the World Cup anthem.
"A double whammy of embarrassment and humiliation," the Indian Express newspaper wrote. "Games India's Shame," read a front-page headline in the Times of India.
Defenders of India's effort say the setbacks are the normal growing pains for a rising nation that will soon surprise the world and show it can pull the games off.
They point to several major projects that were completed on time. A new international airport terminal has received rave reviews along with a clean and speedy subway.
"What the Olympic Games did for Beijing, the Commonwealth Games will do for Delhi. It will become a world-class city," said Suresh Kalmadi, president of the Commonwealth Games Organizing Committee. "India is the flavor of the season. We want to show that Delhi can be a great sporting hub."
Many Indians have complained about the cost of hosting the games, with estimates ranging from $3 billion to more than $10 billion. In 2003, India said it would spend less than $100 million. There have also been countless charges of corruption and bribes, which the prime minister's office said it is investigating.
After weeks of uproar on the streets and in Parliament, the government admitted last month that more than $130 million allocated for poverty reduction programs had been diverted to projects related to the games.
"Financially, the games are a major fiasco," said Norris Pritam, an Indian sports journalist who has covered the Olympics and Asian Games. "It has damaged India's reputation, especially abroad. My main worry is that the world will be afraid to put their money in India."
During an official tour of the flagship stadium last week, Kalmadi proclaimed the venue "100 percent ready," even as workers banged and metal clanged near him.
"This is just last-minute polishing and a little bit of cleaning going on" to keep the workers occupied, he said over the noise. "Otherwise, what will they do?"

Edited by H Rehman, 23 September 2010 - 03:00 PM.

"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means."

popalzai

popalzai

• Members
  • 450 posts
Take a look at these photos, not for those of weak heart or those who are having their dinner. You have been warned. :)

http://www.guardian....6982937&index=0

Gul Khan

Gul Khan

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

the centerpiece of a jaw-dropping opening ceremony - a $12 million helium balloon -is being hastily rejiggered because of an equipment malfunction, an official said. a smaller inner balloon, fitted with cameras to project images of 5,000 years of indian culture and india's economic rise, burst in torrential rains and lightning.(made by our friend drdo?)

:rotfl: :D

TKhan

TKhan

• Members
  • 1,354 posts
The difference between a services-based country (India) and a manufacturing one (China).

A Khan

A Khan

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
India not so shining anymore... I personally find this a lot more serious than the dirty toilets. Had this been any other country the games would have been cancelled and every "human rights advocate" on tv screens shouting (remember Pakistan and the football/carpet industry a decade ago?). But India offcourse gets special treatment, just like killing children in Kashmir... Click on link to see the pictures.

Hard evidence of child labor at 2010 Commonwealth Games
By Phil Han, CNN
September 24, 2010 -- Updated 1816 GMT (0216 HKT)

(CNN) -- As Indian officials struggle to deal with mounting international criticism toward the safety and security of Commonwealth Game athletes, new evidence has emerged that show children as young as seven are being used in the construction of game venues.

In an exclusive interview with CNN International, Harvard fellow and trafficking expert Siddharth Kara told Becky Anderson that child labor was a widespread and well known issue in New Delhi.

Explainer: What are the Commonwealth Games?

"I reliably documented in just a few days 32 cases of forced labor and 14 cases of child labor all for construction related to the Commonwealth Games," Kara said on Connect the World.

"The children I saw were the ones where I felt I had documented child labor -- where children were working, picking up hammers, banging stones, paving entry ways and planting grass along the roads to beautify them, hours and hours at a time."

"I documented children aged seven, eight, nine, ten years old working alongside their families in this mad rush to get the construction completed."

Kara, a renowned expert on the subject of human trafficking, also outlined the harsh conditions these children were forced to work under.

"The conditions are sub-human and that's really the only word I can apply," Kara said.

"They live in the dirt, they go to the toilet behind bushes and trees which is why they found human excrement in the athletes village a few days ago.

"The children, especially the young ones, don't have a sense of what's going on. They're told to do the work and they just do the work. They don't know that they should be in school or that they should be playing."

CNN anchor Becky Anderson pushed Kara on the issue and questioned the methods he used to document the cases of child labor and whether they were not just children accompanying their parents on job sites.

Kara responded by explaining that he went to great lengths to accurately document these cases.

"I didn't just show up, turn up and then carry on to the next site because it took me several days to document these 30 or 40 cases," Kara said.

"It would take me hours to document, in the heat and high humidity. It's not just kids playing in the dirt or using a hammer as a toy."

CNN tried back on July 23, 2010, to contact the chief minister for New Delhi and minister responsible, Sheila Dixit about the allegations made by Kara, but after several attempts, no official reply was ever made.

Dixit did finally speak to CNN's Connect the World this past Tuesday and said that if she was aware of the allegations of child labor in the first place, she would have acted.

"If this gentleman, whoever this student was from Harvard, if he had come to us, told us that this is what was happening there, we would have taken immediate action," Dixit said.

The minister also went on to say that "she had wished" somebody would have come and told her of the allegations.

Kara, who was asked of Dixit's response, said that he had in fact tried to contact Indian government officials of his findings.

"I tried to let people know back in mid-July and I tried to contact the ministry of labor several times about my findings but had no response," Kara said.

http://edition.cnn.c...abor/index.html

A Khan

A Khan

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
This thing about child labour is really awful, and what makes it worse, is that they are not even paid, so its child slavery, and at an International event in the worlds largest so-called democracy. Yet the organizers have not said a word about this so far, nor has any of the participating nations condemned India!

mominkhan

mominkhan

• Senior Members
  • 2,625 posts
As they say, what goes around, comes around.

India has tried to isolate Pakistan in the sports world many times. Sri Lankan team was attacked, by what could have been Indian proxies. Pakistani cricketters are always threatened in India. No one wants to come to Pakistan because of security issues.

Now no one wants to go to India because of dirty toilets and shoddy construction.
  • Awaisi likes this
Musalmaan ko musalmaan kar diya, toofan-i maghrib nay
talatum-ha'ay darya he say hai gohar ki sairaabi
--M. Iqbal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users