Pakistan Space Programme/SUPARCO News

102 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Dawn:-

New satellite among 33 projects approved

By Ihtasham ul Haque

ISLAMABAD, April 30: The Central Development Working Party (CDWP) of the Planning Commission on Tuesday approved 33 projects to be executed at a cost of Rs164 billion, including indigenous development of a communications satellite.

Planning Commission spokesman Dr Asif Sheikh told journalists that 15 infrastructure projects of about Rs139 billion, 12 of social sector of Rs22.6 billion and six projects of Rs2.4 billion relating to other sectors had been approved. The meeting was presided over by Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Dr Mohammad Akram Sheikh.

The spokesman said the Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco) would develop the Pakistan Communications Satellite System at a cost of Rs18.8 billion to replace the country’s existing satellite whose life would expire in two years.

He said the Mangla dam raising project had been completed and the reservoir had an additional capacity of 2.9 million acre feet of water.

The project had been completed on time at Rs5 billion less than the estimated expenditure but the resettlement expenditure had increased from Rs26 billion to Rs60 billion, raising the overall cost to Rs101 billion, he said.

The CDWP approved construction of 100 delay-action dams in Balochistan at a cost of over Rs2 billion, revamping and rehabilitation of irrigation and drainage system in Sindh at Rs16 billion and a scheme for disposal of effluent from Balochistan in the Right Bank Outfall Drain at a cost of Rs6.5 billion.

It cleared construction of water storage dams in Shadi Kaur, Pasni and Gwadar at a cost of Rs2.6 billion.

The meeting approved a project for acquisition of land for a pilot project of 1,000 apartments for low-paid federal government employees at a cost of Rs258 million.

It approved two hydroelectric power projects of 16 and 14 megawatts in Nalter in Gilgit district at a cost of Rs2.9 billion.

A project worth Rs494 million was approved for strengthening the National Tuberculosis Control Programme by ensuring uninterrupted supply of drugs. The Roll Back Malaria Programme of Rs659 million was also approved. The CDWP approved a project for replacement of equipment of the Pakistan Security Printing Corporation and asked it to market its services and get orders for printing currency notes from other countries.

Answering a question, the spokesman said an Integrated Border Management System worth Rs496 million had been approved for computerised checking of travel documents at 24 exit and entry points in the country.

Aziz

Posted · Report post

One of the ways to gather intelligence from open sources is to look at tender notices. In this regard SUPARCO has been very active over the last few months. My take from looking at some of the items tendered is that SUPARCO might be in the process of setting up a purpose built SLV and Satellite fabrication complex. This news corroborate my conclusions.

Posted · Report post

Daily Times - Thursday, June 05, 2008

Rs 3.12bn earmarked for SUPARCO in 2008-09

* Money to be spent on commission’s 4 new, 21 current projects

By Sajid Chaudhry

ISLAMABAD: The government will launch four new projects in the 2008-09 fiscal year to further develop its space and satellite programme and enable the country realise environmental and economic benefits.

The federal government has allocated Rs 3.12 billion for the Pakistan Space & Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO) for its four new and 21 ongoing projects in the next fiscal year.

A National Economic Council (NEC) meeting chaired by Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani approved the allocations of funds for the SUPARCO on June 2.

Pakistan’s National Satellite Development Programme (NSDP) is one of the major tasks entrusted to SUPARCO. The programme includes communication satellites, a Remote Sensing Satellite System (RSSS), human resource development and the PAKSAT-1R communication satellite.

The development of CFIs to fly on-board communication satellite Pak-Sat-IR as a new project has been included in the Public Sector Development Programme 2008-09.

The total cost of the project amounts to Rs 487.4 million, and Rs 1 million has been earmarked for development over 2007-08.

The government plans to spend Rs 496.702 million on the development of an Engineering Qualification Model (EQM) of a small communication satellite. The government will spend Rs 1 million on the project in 2008-09.

Another Rs 1 million will be spent on a new Rs 495.33 million project entitled ‘Development of Logistic Support facilities for NSDP’ in the next fiscal year.

The government also plans to develop various NSDP laboratories at a cost of Rs 476.92 million, and it has allocated Rs 1 million for 2007-08.

Allocations for the ongoing SUPARCO projects includes Rs 1.764 billion for the Pakistan Communication Satellite System (Pak-Sat-IR), Rs 100 million for the development of the Satellite Environmental Validation and Testing (EVT) facility in Punjab, Rs 100 million for the development of the Satellite Assembly Integration and Test (SAINT) facility, Rs 70 million for the Satellite Bus Development facility (phase-1), Rs 249.6 million for the Pak-Sat project (phase-1 extension), Rs 76 million for the development of a Satellite Dynamic System Test facility, Rs 84 million for intelligence development and capacity-building in Satellite Engineering and Technology, Rs 50 million for the development of Dia rocket motor casing using the Maraging Steel in Sindh and Rs 25 million for the development of a flexible bearing SUPARCO plant in Karachi.

Posted · Report post

Pakistan starts monitoring its Western borders via satellite

ISLAMABAD: Advisor to the Prime Minister on Interior, Rehman Malik Monday said Pakistan had begun monitoring of its Western borders via satellite. He said there was no missile attack on June 14 by the U.S. or its allies on Mohmand Agency and the incident was misreported. He said requisite database for the purpose of monitoring had been gathered. Malik said any violation of Pakistani borders would not be tolerated in future.

Courtesy Geo

http://www.pakistanlink.com/Headlines/June08/16/02.htm

Can someone shed some light on this news regarding the border being monitored by satellite.

Posted · Report post

Pakistan starts monitoring its Western borders via satellite

ISLAMABAD: Advisor to the Prime Minister on Interior, Rehman Malik Monday said Pakistan had begun monitoring of its Western borders via satellite. He said there was no missile attack on June 14 by the U.S. or its allies on Mohmand Agency and the incident was misreported. He said requisite database for the purpose of monitoring had been gathered. Malik said any violation of Pakistani borders would not be tolerated in future.

Courtesy Geo

http://www.pakistanlink.com/Headlines/June08/16/02.htm

Can someone shed some light on this news regarding the border being monitored by satellite.

i dont think that even Rehman Malik knows what he is saying as pakistan does not have any such capability and even USA cant monitor 2500km+ border line fro 24 hours other wise they woud have done it to track and huntdown cross the border movements

its is just a political statement to shutdown the media coverage of cross border attcak by USA on Pakistani soil

To me It is just a move by PPP to lower the pressure from Govt that was put by media coverage of this attack

Posted · Report post

Pakistan plans communications satellite by 2011

Updated at: 2300 PST, Saturday, October 04, 2008

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan plans to have a communications satellite by 2011 as part of its National Satellite Development Programme, a top official said on Saturday.

The country currently has the leased satellite Paksat-1, and this will hopefully be replaced with the state-of-the-art Paksat-1R communications satellite in three years, said Air Commodore Arshad Hussain Siraj, Secretary of the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO) here.

SUPARCO is working on the National Satellite Development Programme, which includes a communications satellite, a remote sensing satellite, satellite launching vehicle and human resource development, he said.

Pakistan is also a founding member of the Asia-Pacific Space Cooperation Organisation, launched in collaboration with China and aimed at making regional countries self-sufficient in space technology, Siraj said. The APSCO is patterned after the European Space Agency.

The organisation is likely to become fully functional by the end of this year next year. China is contributing "major support" for the organisation, he added. Siraj said space programmes are costly and no individual country has the capacity to complete a satellite project on its own. The APSCO will provide an opportunity for regional countries to help each other, he said.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=57022

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, SUPARCO is in a full-time pathetic state and I would be surprised if this date is met. However, with sufficient help from China, we just might be able to do it. Wish them all the best!

Posted · Report post

Specifics on the deals were not immediately available. But the state-run China Daily newspaper said Thursday one of the agreements was for China to launch a telecommunications satellite for Pakistan in the first half of 2011 from a launch center in Sichuan, in China's southwest.
Source: CNN

Posted · Report post

BEIJING, Oct. 16 (Xinhua) -- China will launch a telecommunication satellite, dubbed PakSat-1R, for Pakistan in 2011.

The satellite's chief contractor -- China Great Wall Industry Corporation (CGWIC) -- said on Thursday that a Long March 3B rocket will be used to put the satellite into orbit.

It will launch from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in the southwestern Sichuan Province.

The company said ground control facilities for the satellite will be delivered to the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission after it enters orbit.

CGWIC and its sub-contractors are responsible for the design, manufacturing, final assembly, testing and launch of the satellite.

It will have a life span of 15 years.

Pakistan will use it for domestic telecommunication and broadcast services.

Contracts for the satellite deal were sealed Wednesday in the presence of presidents from both countries. Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari was in Beijing for his first state visit since taking office in September.

This is the third time China has delivered a satellite to another country. In 2007, two satellites were sent to Nigeria.

Xinhua

Will our engineers / scientists be involved at any stage of design, making or launch of this sat?

Posted · Report post

I don't get it, didn't we already give the PAKSAT 1R contract to Telesat, a Canadian company, a while back? They were supposed to assist in the design and manufacture of the satellite, also assist with the launch.

I thought the chinese would only launch it for us due to their competitive prices, or has the Telesat deal been scrapped?

Posted · Report post

SUPARCO is working on the National Satellite Development Programme, which includes a communications satellite, a remote sensing satellite, satellite launching vehicle and human resource development, he said.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=57022

BEIJING, Oct. 16 (Xinhua) -- China will launch a telecommunication satellite, dubbed PakSat-1R, for Pakistan in 2011.

CGWIC and its sub-contractors are responsible for the design, manufacturing, final assembly, testing and launch of the satellite.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/16/content_10206116.htm

So if we are buying a satellite and China is launching it for us then what are we doing? Just spending money? Where is our progress?

Posted · Report post

Ghias sahib, you've rightfully asked that question and the answer to that would be very dissapointing.

Posted · Report post

Simple answer 'SUPARCO is a WHITE ELEPHANT"

Posted · Report post

SUPARCO, if managed properly, can yield alot. However, it's a total waste of resources, both human and financial. I hate to say this, but except a few programmes, people don't really know what they're doing in Pakistan. Those who know, get frustrated and leave in a few years if not months. Nonetheless, I expect the traditional 'Pakistan launched indigenous satellite into space...President and Prime Minister congradulated the scientists on this achievement'. :D

Posted · Report post

SUPARCO, if managed properly, can yield alot. However, it's a total waste of resources, both human and financial. I hate to say this, but except a few programmes, people don't really know what they're doing in Pakistan. Those who know, get frustrated and leave in a few years if not months. Nonetheless, I expect the traditional 'Pakistan launched indigenous satellite into space...President and Prime Minister congradulated the scientists on this achievement'. :D

can you tell us about suparco's current state? I hear it's terrible, but it probably would be more informative hearing from you. As far as I know, NESCOM has been given the task for completing our launch vehicle, which hopefully will be finished very soon, insha'Allah.

though, contrary to this recent Chinese MoU, PAKSAT 1R was supposed to be designed and manufactured with Telesat's guidance and assistance. We already inked this agreement a while back. I was hoping we could launch our rocket vehicle by this year (insha'Allah) so that we could work out any problems and perfect our launches by 2011, hopefully in time for PAKSAT 1R. Unfotunately, that's probably not going to happen, since we've decided to have the satellite launched by our allies.

Pakistan selects Telesat for procurement and launch of Paksat 1-R satellite

OTTAWA, March 13 2007 -- Telesat, one of the world's leading satellite

operators, announced today that it has signed a consulting contract with the

Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO), Pakistan's

national space agency. Under the agreement, Telesat will assist SUPARCO in the

procurement and launch of the Paksat-1R satellite, which will replace the

existing Paksat-1 in 2010.

"Telesat's new relationship with Pakistan's national space agency is

testimony to Telesat's longstanding reputation for integrity, reliability and

deep expertise in the field of satellite communications services," said Dan

Goldberg, Telesat's president and CEO. "For more than 35 years, Telesat has

been a pioneer in leading-edge satellite communications and it's a privilege

to put that experience to work to benefit the people of Pakistan."

Telesat's services will include initiating, evaluating and recommending

manufacturer proposals for Paksat-1R, and providing technical and commercial

advisors during the negotiation process. Telesat will also help oversee the

construction of the new satellite, and will monitor the launch and in-orbit

testing services.

"SUPARCO is committed to explore and expand our country's satellite

technology, and Telesat can certainly help in reaching this goal," said a

SUPARCO spokesperson. "Telesat shares SUPARCO's vision and passion for

developing advanced satellite services for the benefit of millions of people,

everyday."

About Telesat (www.telesat.ca)

Headquartered in Ottawa, Telesat Canada is one of the world's pioneers in

satellite communications and systems management. Created in 1969, the company

made history three years later with the launch of Anik A1, the world's first

domestic communications satellite in geostationary orbit operated by a

commercial company.

Telesat operates a fleet of satellites that provide broadcast

distribution and telecommunications services, and is a highly respected

consultant and partner in satellite ventures around the world. Telesat has

offices throughout Canada, in the United States and in Brazil. On

December 18th, 2006, Telesat's parent company, BCE Inc., agreed to sell the

satellite operator for $3.25 billion, net of debt, to a new acquisition

company formed by Canada's Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP

Investments) and Loral Space & Communications Inc. As part of the agreement,

Loral will transfer the fixed satellite services and network services assets

of Loral Skynet to the new acquisition company, which assets will be combined

with Telesat's.

http://www.bce.ca/en/news/releases/ts/2007/03/13/74184.html

Posted · Report post

Assad bhai, I better keep my mouth shut for the greater good. Generally speaking, as I have mentioned in my other posts, it's the absense of good work ethics, sense of responsibility and just the will to do something which is hurting the most. The least said the better because it tends to drain the morale of young people who have such high aspirations to do something for their country. Nonetheless, considering the auspicious beginnings of SUPARCO, it should've had achieved alot by now, but it hasn't, which is an utter shame.

Posted · Report post

SUPARCO's budget has been pitiful, it is now doing better because of better budget and international co-operation. It will take a few years for this to translate into programmes.

Posted · Report post

I agree with Rafi, apart from this govt. is also funding first time in educational sector regarding space program. A student satellite program is going on in Institute of Space Technology by the name Susat-1 for more details http://ist.edu.pk/student_satellite.html

Posted · Report post

Budjet may be part of the problem, but it's not 'the' issue. Don't misunderstand me. I am not any Pakistan hating, Pakistani bashing person and I don't want to speak more than I should.

Hasher likes this

Posted · Report post

Listen there are some things in the pipeline, that will in the next 10 years will hopefully restore the reputation of suparco.

Posted · Report post

I would believe it....as it presently seems, SUPARCO isn't even involved in space projects related to the military. I was told that a lot of the military's programs have been given to firms under the direct control of the armed forces.

Posted · Report post

I understand what Alam sahib is trying to say. We just don't have that type of work culture in Pakistan, where R&D is crucial, six sigma and TQM are applied, etc. We've had such a long time to get ahead, it's embarrassing just thinking about our shortcomings. Our programs should be far more robust. although I understand there is a lot of amazing work going on in Pakistan, we just don't have that work-research culture in Pakistan.

if we look at education, the only thing I've seen is an improvement in IST's website design. I would suggest taking a look at the courses available. The first class required is Intro to Chinese, with a few math and science classes. The students will be sent off to China for continuation of education.

Posted · Report post

I would believe it....as it presently seems, SUPARCO isn't even involved in space projects related to the military. I was told that a lot of the military's programs have been given to firms under the direct control of the armed forces.

yes, that is correct. take a look at SUPARCO's website, it's much more of a website for children, K-12 ages but not up!

the launch vehicle is being designed by engineers in NESCOM, ex-Suparco faculty. I had links to research papers on the design for the launch vehicle, unfortunately some of the links aren't working right now.

Posted · Report post

I understand what Alam sahib is trying to say. We just don't have that type of work culture in Pakistan, where R&D is crucial, six sigma and TQM are applied, etc. We've had such a long time to get ahead, it's embarrassing just thinking about our shortcomings. Our programs should be far more robust. although I understand there is a lot of amazing work going on in Pakistan, we just don't have that work-research culture in Pakistan.

if we look at education, the only thing I've seen is an improvement in IST's website design. I would suggest taking a look at the courses available. The first class required is Intro to Chinese, with a few math and science classes. The students will be sent off to China for continuation of education.

Assad sahib, Six Sigma, ACE, TQM, etc... yaar yeh to bohat baad kee baat hai... yahan to log kaam pay aatay hee sonay k liye hain, kyun k ghar main bijli nahi aati. :D

Enough said!

Posted · Report post

Pakistan risks losing orbital slot if satellite not launched

KARACHI, Oct 19: The Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco) is at present focusing on launching a communication satellite, a target that the organisation says will be achieved by 2011.

“As of now, Suparco’s priority is to launch a communication satellite to retain our geostationary orbital slot in space,” said Arshad Siraj, secretary of Suparco, adding that given the number of channels that have cropped up in the country, it is all the more important to make such a satellite a priority.

Allocated by the International Telecommunications Union, there are 360 geostationary orbital slots in space, of which 320 are already in use by various countries, and there is a waiting list of several countries for the remaining slots.

For Pakistan, retaining the slot is vital as it has already lost four chances. It was only able to do so on the fifth and final call when, in late 2002, it leased the US’ HG3 – originally launched as Indonesia’s Palapa C1 and later sold to Turkey – and renamed it Paksat 1.

The satellite was relocated from Turkey’s orbital slot to Pakistan’s. According to Mr Siraj, if the country fails to launch a satellite by the deadline, it will forfeit its orbital slot in space for good.

Pakistan has so far sent only two indigenously built satellites into space: Badar-I and Badar-II in 1990 from China, and a Russian Zenit-2 rocket in 2001 from Kazakhstan. Pakistan does not have its own satellite launch vehicle (SLV), although there has been much talk about it for a few years now. In a news report in 2001, for example, Dr A.Q. Khan had stated that Pakistan was in the process of building a low-cost, light-weight SLV, a plan that faded into oblivion.

Given this scenario, the future of Pakistan’s launch vehicle programme remains quite bleak, particularly when Suparco’s second priority happens to be remote sensory satellites rather than SLVs. Apart from the obvious question of funding, which Suparco lacks, some also question the country’s capability to build and maintain an SLV.

“SLVs involve complex technology and are beyond what Pakistan can do on its own,” said noted physicist Pervez Hoodbhoy. “Of course, the world is now seeing the spread of advanced missile technology because of modularised components, and so even countries like North Korea can make missiles that can cross continents.”

Mr Hoodbhoy said if the SLV design and components are given to Pakistan, it will be able to construct one, but to manufacture something from its own engineering and technical resources seems impossible.

He said that given the other more pressing needs of the time – electricity, for example – there is no justification to spend the scarce funds on space programmes like SLV. According to him, the country may continue to launch its satellites from other countries on a commercial basis when the need arises.

However, Shahid Qureshi, head of the Institute of Space and Planetary Astrophysics, Karachi University, said that Pakistan has the basic technology to build an SLV.

“If we can launch a missile up to a range of 1,500km, why not build an SLV that can launch low-atmosphere satellites?” he said. According to Mr Qureshi, we can begin by launching navigation, spy and weather satellites, which can go up to 150km into space.

“This alone can give us a lot of data that we need to buy now.”

http://www.dawn.com/2008/10/20/local4.htm