Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sri Lanka Sent Pakistan its Arms Wishlist

222 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

An excerpt in a recent article on the current war in Srilanka . Article mentions role Pakistan Air Force and use of Pakistani Pilots last year.

Pakistan’s Role

The solid assurance by Pakistan about two months back pledging to send one shipload of the wherewithal every 10 days in coming months for bolster Sri Lankan efforts against LTTE prompted Sri Lankan Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa to publicly state that Kilinochchi, the headquarters of the LTTE, would be liberated by the end of December, 2008.

On January 19 in a meeting between Pakistani Defence Secretary Lt Gen (retired) Syed Athar Ali and his visiting Sri Lankan counterpart Gotabhaya Rajapakse in Rawalpindi, the two countries agreed to enhance cooperation in military training, exercises and intelligence sharing regarding terrorism. According to some unconfirmed reports pilots from Pakistan air force participated in air strikes against bases of Tamil Tigers in August 2008, besides Pakistan has been providing advance weapons to Sri Lanka for fighting LTTE at a time when India refused to help.

It is not the first time that Pakistan is helping Sri Lanka militarily to fight LTTE terrorists. Back in year 2000 when LTTE offensive code-named Operation Oyatha Alaikal (Operation Ceaseless Waves) overran Sri Lankan military positions in the north and captured the Elephant Pass Base and entered Jaffna; it was feared that LTTE would run down thousands of Sri Lankan troops stationed in Jaffna, Sri Lanka sought MBRLs from Pakistan. According to Jane's Intelligence Digest, weapons and ammunition, including artillery shells and multi-barrel rocket launchers, were airlifted in an emergency operation from Karachi to Colombo in May.

In 2006 as well Sri Lanka sought multi-barrel rocket launchers (MBRLs) and other advanced weapons from Pakistan when Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa visited Pakistan in March-April 2006 along with an 80-member delegation that included military officials. India was never happy with Sri Lanka over purchase of weapons from Pakistan.

http://www.asiantribune.com/?q=node/15438

Posted · Report post

I don't know about you folks, but I have been following the events in Sri Lanka closely. If Pakistan is giving them weapons than we are encouraging Genocide, pure and simple. It is pretty sad that we are doing this for the sake of strategic depth vis-a-vis India.

Pakistan has supplied Sri Lanka with over $100 million in arms, yet we are struggling to control an insurgency in our own backyard. The Govt needs to smarten up and pull their support for Sri Lanka.

I know that Pakistan, like China, sells arms with out the strings attached that come from other countries, but there has to be a limit, and our new "client state" has shown that they lack the capability to use the arms we are supplying them responsibly.

..see the link below and you will see why this is making me so angry...:mad:

http://www.behindindia.com/india-news-stories/may-09-01/sri-lanka-12-05-09.html

Posted · Report post

I don't know about you folks, but I have been following the events in Sri Lanka closely. If Pakistan is giving them weapons than we are encouraging Genocide, pure and simple. It is pretty sad that we are doing this for the sake of strategic depth vis-a-vis India.

Pakistan has supplied Sri Lanka with over $100 million in arms, yet we are struggling to control an insurgency in our own backyard. The Govt needs to smarten up and pull their support for Sri Lanka.

I know that Pakistan, like China, sells arms with out the strings attached that come from other countries, but there has to be a limit, and our new "client state" has shown that they lack the capability to use the arms we are supplying them responsibly.

Thanks for the moral awakening - there is no way to determine who is responsible for this act - you quote indian and western newspapers as a source!!??

Wake up please mate - i personally choose to believe the sri lankan authorities and their explanations. LTTE are well known for their respect of human rights, so please dont lecture the government of pak on its relations with sri lanka.

ndad

Posted · Report post

pakistan cannot and should not give up support for the sri lankan government, nor would it be wise to stop providing equipment and arms to them. they are fighting an insurgency against rebels. if we werent going to provide them the bullets and shells, they would get it from somewhere else. what they do with them is hardly pakistans issue. i am sure there has been civilian casualty during all of this, but i also dont doubt that the LTTE has done a lot worse. plus, just look at the link you posted. i find that hardly credible. india has always tried to make sri lankas war against the LTTE seem like its excessive. but thats because RAW has been providing covert support to LTTE. strategic depth or not, helping the sri lankan government was just the right thing to do.

Posted · Report post

I don't know about you folks, but I have been following the events in Sri Lanka closely.

I disagree. I think the Sri Lankan Goverment and Army are doing an absolutely fanstatic job under very difficult circumstances... Very good work. The end game for the LTTE terrorists is near, hopefully we will see the LTTE leader hanging by his b*lls soon. That is the best he can deserve for RUINING the most advanced, progressive economy in the whole of South Asia.

Pakistan should increase shipments asap, so that this can finished soon, and hopefully Sri Lanka can return to a land free of LTTE terrorism.

Go Sri Lankan Army, go!!!!

Posted · Report post

Assalamaoalukum,

I cant wait for SriLankan army to finish LTTE off. They are the true *******s in every way. They are holding 100,000 civilians hostage to save their leader. Wish they could just capture him alive and then roast him on slow fire.

Posted · Report post

Perhaps someone came out of their r-hole and exposed themselves! :D

Posted · Report post

What is wrong with eliminating terror organisation? And what is wrong with eliminating a group that killed politicians and civilians by using bombs on women? They even did that with Rajev Ghandi... I agree with mr HKhan... Just 4 posts and exposed. Can someone please delete the historie of this person? Appreciated.

Posted · Report post

Assalamaoalukum,

I cant wait for SriLankan army to finish LTTE off. They are the true *******s in every way. They are holding 100,000 civilians hostage to save their leader. Wish they could just capture him alive and then roast him on slow fire.

Brother, you quote Surah Rehman in your signature, re-read your post and reflect upon it, what are you proposing? We are not barbarians, this is not our way.

Posted · Report post

Assalamaoalukum,

whats wrong with what I wrote? a terrorist organization LTTE which is responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands including thousands upon thousands of SriLankan Muslims and not to mention they introduced suicide bombing to modern world. All because of one man's sick mentality. I hope SriLankan government takes LTTE out once and for all.

Posted · Report post

Salaam Bros

I live in East London and there is a sizeable Tamil population here, they are really upset that Pakistan has provided so much support to the Sri Lankan Gort. On the flip side I have spoken to so many other Sinhalese and they are so happy that finally their 30 year nightmare may end.

Lets hope Prabakan chokes on his cyanide pill before he can bite into it and dies slowly. He has far to much blood on his hands..

4 posts and out I think this chappie was on the wrong forum :) could someone send him the following link since he is banned I cannot PM him http://www.eelamweb.com

he will be much more happier there.

Yours Abu Hamzah

Posted · Report post

there are many ways to look at this issue, I think it's important we take our time to analyze the situation closely. the loss of innocent life is an unfortunate event at any case, certainly we, as muslims, must be at the forefront to condemn the loss of innocent life. I'm sure the Sri Lankan army is not intentionally trying to kill civilians and keep in mind there have been reports of the LTTE trying to prevent the escape of civilians. Sri Lanka will have to deal with the Tamils of the island, regardless.

I fail to understand why tamils would be so upset at Pakistan for providing Sri Lanka with arms, seeing how the transaction was a pretty "low-key" event, barely noticeable. It's China's unconditional support for Sri Lanka and more importantly, India's diplomatic support towards Sri Lanka, the tamils should worry about. india has intervened in Sri Lanka and gone up against its own creation in the past. they've already paid the price for their deeds with the blood of Gandhi.

now there are cries within the india parliament to take action against Sri Lanka for its operations against the LTTE, yet india is obviously not going to do anything. with millions of disgruntled tamils living in Tamil Nadu, the third largest economy and the most industrialised within the states of india, the tension could possibly lead to a civil uprising in the worst case scenario. There is already harsh criticism of the indian govt.'s inability or rather inaction for this situation. there have been calls for independence long ago in the past and could possibly be reignited again.

Posted · Report post

Zeeshan, specifically the slow roasting alive is beyond cruel. I agree with the rest.

Sassad, the Tamil independence movement should be in Tamil Nadu. :)

Just as these Afghan militants belong in Afghanistan, not here, they were pushed here upon us, same with the so-called Baloch nationalists, time to exhume these parasites back where they are sent from.

Posted · Report post

Zeeshan, specifically the slow roasting alive is beyond cruel. I agree with the rest.

Just as these Afghan militants belong in Afghanistan, not here, they were pushed here upon us, same with the so-called Baloch nationalists, time to exhume these parasites back where they are sent from.

correct, send them back from whence they came! we should launch kautilyan offenses of our own, revenge is sweet.

Posted · Report post

Completely agree with this. I'm just hoping that the LTTE retreat to Tamil Nadu and continue what they are are doing there, give the monkeys something to think about.

I've never understood why they claim to be a Tamil seperatist movement, yet don't claim any independence motives for the state of Tamil Nadu itself?!

Posted · Report post

Completely agree with this. I'm just hoping that the LTTE retreat to Tamil Nadu and continue what they are are doing there, give the monkeys something to think about.

I've never understood why they claim to be a Tamil seperatist movement, yet don't claim any independence motives for the state of Tamil Nadu itself?!

There actually is some small level of activity to that effect in Tamil Nadu, but India has been able to divert their attention to fighting in Sri Lanka.

Posted · Report post

I hope someone at the ISI is following this thread!

Posted · Report post

Tamils in India must be encouraged to seek a Tamil land within India as there is no chance for them in Sri Lanka anymore.

Cant be that hard of a job for the Pakistani/Sri Lankan/Chinese intelligence agencies combined. Now, will it? :D

Posted · Report post

It's over (insha'Allah)!!!!!

Tamil Tigers surrender to Sri Lankan govt

Sunday, 17 May, 2009 | 03:24 PM PST |

COLOMBO: The Tamil Tigers have given up their fight against a Sri Lankan government offensive and ‘have decided to silence our guns,’ a statement carried by the pro-rebel Tamilnet website said on Sunday.

‘This battle has reached its bitter end,’ said the admission of defeat from the rebels' chief of international relations, Selvarasa Pathmanathan.

‘We remain with one last choice -- to remove the last weak excuse of the enemy for killing our people. We have decided to silence our guns. Our only regrets are for the lives lost and that we could not hold out for longer.’The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) have been fighting for an independent homeland on the ethnic Sinhalese-majority island since the 1970s.

Rest of the story at http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/world/08-tamil-tigers-surrender-to-sri-lankan-govt-ts-03

Posted · Report post

One terrorist cell less. I am still suprised that western press never mark these as terrorists. Even al Jazeera does not... Somehow it is strange.

Posted · Report post

Oops, already reported in another thread.

Posted · Report post

Congratulation to the Lankans on a job well done and on bringing this Indian organized and funded brutal insurgency to an end. A proud day for them and all their well wishers.

Posted · Report post

A great and a plucky nation Sri Lanka! My congratulations to the Sri Lankan nation and its proud armed forces.

Posted · Report post

Dear All

Let us hope the Sri Lankans are as good peace makers as they were warriors, this country needs to heal the divisions between the Tamils and the majority Sinhalese community. Otherwise the next generation living in refugee camps will start upon another cycle of violence.

It is a shame that a fairly well educated community like the Tamils got radicalised and used to such devasting effects by the LTTE. In 2002 they had a ceasefire where they pretty much controlled a third of the country, they could have negotiated a large degree of autonomy which would have addressed the Tamil communities aspirations. But in this case a Tiger does not change his stripes and they kept to their terrorist ways and brought ruin for their community.

I suppose there are lessons here for us as well, we need to be united behind our armed forces and no negioations with terrorists. In Pakistan the TTP offer us nothing but a Masonic death cult. Which is why it is so shameful that there are some in our country who would want us to negotiate with such people.

WS

Abu Hamzah