Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pakistanis reminded eating in Ramadan means jail

22 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

ISLAMABAD, Nov 16 (Reuters) - Pakistan, an important backer of the U.S. campaign against Afghanistan's purist Taliban, reminded its own citizens on Friday that daytime eating in public during the fasting month of Ramadan means going to jail.

A national committee of Islamic clerics declared the start of Ramadan, or Ramazan, would be Saturday, after they said the new moon heralding the lunar month had been sighted on Friday evening. The month started on Friday in neighbouring Afghanistan and most Arab countries.

A 1981 decree issued by then military dictator General Mohammad Zia-ul-Haq set a prison term of up to three months for anybody found eating or serving food or smoking in public places during the dawn-to-dusk fasting hours.

"Attention of the masses has been drawn to the provisions of Ehtram-e-Ramazan (Respect for Ramadan) Ordinance, which... prohibits eating and serving food, smoking in public places, prescribes closure times of cinemas, theatres and other such establishments," said a government statement.

"Whoever contravenes the provisions...shall be punishable with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to three months, or with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees ($8) or with both."

Before 1981, Pakistanis generally could not eat or smoke in public during fasting hours for fear of public ridicule, but no penalty was set for this and restaurants could serve food in curtained halls.

Zia's decree banned hotels, restaurants and canteens from serving food to Muslims during the fasting hours.

But an exemption was given to canteens or kitchens serving patients at hospitals, travellers at railway stations, airports, seaports or bus stations or inside trains or aircraft and to children at primary schools.

The ban on eating or drinking in public applies to Pakistan's Muslim and non-Muslim residents as well as foreigners.

The 1981 ordinance was one of several penalties Zia enforced as part of his controversial Islamisation of Pakistani society, including possible stoning to death for adultery, amputation of hands for theft and flogging for drinking.

11:21 11-16-01

Posted · Report post

I'd like to see some foreign journalists get arrested on this rule. :)

Posted · Report post

Originally posted by Uzair

I'd like to see some forigen journalists get arrested on this rule. :)

Pervaz Hoddboy? Rashid Ahmed?

Posted · Report post

H khan,

Are you referring to Ahmed Rashid, the author of Taliban, if so, don't you think that he has all the makings of a Qadianni, from his name to his demeanor...

Posted · Report post

Originally posted by Saad Hasan

H khan,

Are you referring to Ahmed Rashid, the author of Taliban, if so, don't you think that he has all the makings of a Qadianni, from his name to his demeanor...

You are correct Saad, I am talking about Ahmed Rashid

Posted · Report post

Originally posted by Saad Hasan

H khan,

That's rather presumptuous isn't it? What sort of demeanor does a Qadiani have that is different from Muslims? I also know many, many Muslims who have both Ahmed and Rashid in their names.

NavBaby.

Posted · Report post

Well other then their ill-fated attempt to destroy Islam, their track record of being loyal to Pakistan is not all too stellar either. Qadianis have been known to openly speak and conspire against Pakistan on the behest of their western benefactors... We need to be wary of them.. I do not trust them at all...and I think every patriotic pakistani should do the same...Ahmed Rashid, fits the profile all too well...and now that racial profiling has been legitimized in the democracy of democracies, I think in our attempt to emulate the west, we should follow suit...

Posted · Report post

Whats the point of having a law that you can not implement. Who is to stop you from eating inside your house. This is stupid. Afterall, religious obligations should be a private matter, and not the buissness of the state.

Posted · Report post

This is stupid. Afterall, religious obligations should be a private matter, and not the buissness of the state.

Are you, M Ali, promoting separation of State and religion?

Posted · Report post

Salaam,

Mohammad Ali, respectfully, I'd like to remind you that Islam is NOT merely a religion. Under your pretext, one should practice usury outside but not in the home; one can drink outside but not in the home; one may smoke pot outside but it would be against religion were it inside the home.

Thinking that religion is a private matter is a western concept. I agree with that part. However, Islam is not a religion. Religion is a part, albeit a significant one, of Islam. Islam is a complete way of life. So if the government is enforcing Islam in public places and not invading the privacy of your own home, it ought to be looked upon as a boon.

Posted · Report post

Ultimately we have to answer to Allah on how well we have followed His religion, irrespective of what ever laws our governments enact. If we follow Islam out of fear that the government will punish us, then we are not really following Islam because our intent is not there. And Allah knows all our intents.

We may be able to fool the government, but on the Day of Judgment we will be found out and be treated accordingly.

NavBaby.

Posted · Report post

Agree completely with Abbas. We have to answer to Allah, not to the government. And religion as being a private matter a western concept? So what. That does not mean its wrong. It certainly is a private matter for me. And Behjat, please dont put words in my mouth.

If we are making it into law not to eat during Ramadan, then why not make one for prayers as well. Lets have all buisnesses, shops, etc etc close down during prayer times? My point was that such laws can not be enforced, so its a waste of time putting down legislations like these.

If a person does not want to fast, you can not make him do so. He will answer to God eventually, but thats no one elses buisness, esp not the states.

Posted · Report post

In Saudi Arabia, they close down shops during prayers by law. The result is that even people who would not otherwise pray, do so.

Remember, this idea of seperating state and religeon is a western one. The end effect is that religeon becomes marginalized to such an extent that people adhere to their faith in name only.

Posted · Report post

> Everyday as I wake up at dawn

> My mind start working the moment I yawn

> There were many things to do, O dear!

> That's why I hastily did my Subuh prayer

>

> I didn't have the time to sit longer to praise the Lord

> To me rushing out after prayer is nothing odd...

> Since school, I had been busy every minute

> Completing my tutorials and handing it in

>

> My ECAs took up most of my time always

> No time did I have to Allah to pray

> Too many things to do and Zikir is rare

> For Allah, I really had no time to spare..

>

> When I grew up and started my career

> Working all day to secure my future

> When I reached home, I preferred to have fun

> I chatted on the phone but I didn't read the Quran

>

> I spent too much time surfing the Internet

> Sad to say, my faith was falling flat...

> The only time I have left is weekends

> During which I prefer window shopping with friends

>

> I couldn't spare time to go to the mosque

> I'm too busy, that's the BIG EXCUSE...

> I did my five prayers but did so quickly

> After prayer, I didn't sit longer to reflect quietly

>

> I didn't have time to help the needy ones

> I was loaded with work as my precious time runs

> No time at all to visit a sick Muslim friend

> To orphans and elderly, I hardly lent a hand

>

> I'm too busy to do community service

> When there were gatherings, I helped the least

> My life was already full of stress

> So I didn't counsel a Muslim in distress

>

> I didn't spend much time with my family

> B'coz i thought, doing so is a waste of time...

> No time to share with non-Muslim about Islam

> Even though I know, inviting causes no harm

>

> No time to do Sunnah prayers at all

> All these contribute to my Imaan's fall..

> I'm busy here and busy there

> I've no time at all, that's all I care

>

> I went for religious lessons, just once in awhile

> Coz i'm too busy making a pile...

> I worked all day and I slept all night

> Too tired for Tahajjud and it seemed not right

>

> To me, earning a living was already tough

> so I only did basic deeds but that's not enough..

> No time at all, to admire God's creation

> No time to praise Allah and seek His Compassion

>

> Although I know how short is my life

> For Islam, I really didn't strive..

> Finally the day comes, when the Lord calls for me

> And I stood before Him with my Life's History

>

> I feel so guilty b'coz i should have prayed more

> Isn't that what a Muslim lives for?

> To thank Allah and do more good deeds

> And the Quran is for us all to read..

>

> Now at Judgement Day, I'm starting to fret

> I've wasted my life but it's too late to regret

> My entry to Paradise depend on my good behaviour

> But i've not done enough nor did proper prayer

>

> My "good deed book" is given from my right

> An angel opened my "book" and read out my plight.

>

> Then the angle chided me....

>

> "O You Muslim servant, you are the one,

> Who is given enough time, yet not much is done

> Do you know that your faith is loose?

> saying "no time" is only an excuse.

>

> Your "good deed book" should be filled up more

> with all the good work you stood up for..

> Hence, I only recorded those little good deeds

> As I say this, I know your eyes will mist..

> I was about to write some more, you see

> But i did not have, THE TIME to list".......

>

> THE END

>

> Do ponder my dearest Bros and Sis. What's our ultimate

> aim in living ??

Posted · Report post

Salaam,

Muhammed Ali. Bhai meray naraaz kiun hotay ho? It is OK to disagree. I'm NOT, however putting words in your mouth. Merely attempting to remind myself and others that Islam is NOT simply a religion. This is a western concept. In and of itself is not wrong. However, as I pointed out, Islam is a way of life. It includes social, judicial, political, financial, matrimonial, educational, military and economic factors. Together, these elements in combination with the religion, make Islam.

Therefore, it is a matter of perspective. If you only adhere to the religious part of Islam, and the so does the state, then it is no business of theirs to impose anything religious on you or me. However, if you adhere to the totality of Islam as a way of life, then try to not criticize anyone who helps you adhere to it.

I'm not stating that somehow you are wrong or that I stand against you if you're against this rule of not allowing anyone to eat in public. Rather, I'm showing that I support it (albeit with your disagreement and opposition) and think it would help our society become better in our practice of Islam. No offense intended, none taken.

Posted · Report post

Originally posted by Behjat

Therefore, it is a matter of perspective. If you only adhere to the religious part of Islam, and the so does the state, then it is no business of theirs to impose anything religious on you or me. However, if you adhere to the totality of Islam as a way of life, then try to not criticize anyone who helps you adhere to it.

Huh? Oh, okay. I see what you mean. You are only helping the rest of us go to heaven... just in case people make the wrong decision, you are there to prevent them. Your generosity and kindness is staggering.

H Khan, "Ahmed hence Ahmadi" is definitely one of the more bizarre statement I've seen you make. I hope you realise that our religion forbids the taking of hallucinogenic drugs for sehr or iftar. ;)

Posted · Report post

Originally posted by fameen

H Khan, "Ahmed hence Ahmadi" is definitely one of the more bizarre statement I've seen you make. I hope you realise that our religion forbids the taking of hallucinogenic drugs for sehr or iftar. ;)

What are you trying to say Oxford boy?

Posted · Report post

Salaam,

Fameen, I take offence to your attempt to insult my sincerity. Take it or leave it, but why the hostility? Was it just to add another post to your tally? It obviously made no sense and resolved nothing other than manifesting your oblivious attitude.

Posted · Report post

Behjat sahib,

People like fameen claim to be open minded but they have their head stuck in their butt like eating a hogan's hero sandwich without mayo.

Don't worry about these types of people they can be found anywhere where you find misguidance.

Huh? Oh, okay. I see what you mean. You are only helping the rest of us go to heaven

Typical dunce using Christian terms thinking this is Islaam.

Posted · Report post

Originally posted by Behjat

Salaam,

Fameen, I take offence to your attempt to insult my sincerity.

Behjat sahib. Please accept my apologies. It wasn't your sincerity I was insulting... merely your intellect. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0