Welcome to PakDef.org : Pakistan Military Consortium
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pakistan Missile tests related news

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1316 replies to this topic

yusufy

yusufy

• Members
  • 338 posts

Well, Usman Ansari is also guessing

True, but he does put forth some tantalizing theories:

"Though an image released by the government’s Press Information Department appeared to show a Babur missile, its resolution was insufficient to accurately determine the missile’s identity."

"However, a naval industry official told Defense News at Pakistan’s biennial defense exhibition IDEAS 2016 in November that Pakistan was working on indigenous anti-ship missiles. This followed an earlier revelation buried in a Ministry of Defence Production report of development of a shipboard anti-ship missile launcher."

"The Babur offers the quickest route to an indigenous anti-ship missile, with a range exceeding the limitations of the Missile Technology Control Regime in the same vein as the United States' UGM/RGM-109B (TAS-M) Tomahawk."

"Though the C-602 reportedly cruises at a height of 30 meters, test-area altitude for today’s test was restricted to 1,500 meters — more akin to the higher cruise altitude of the Babur."

H Khan

H Khan

• Administrators
  • 15,345 posts

True yet again this is guess game going on.

H Khan

Pakistanis (irrespective of their standing in society) exult gossip, paranoia, superstition, and conspiracy theories more than the science of history- H Khan

Sabre

Sabre

• Members
  • 298 posts

So do we know anything further on this test? No details on what was tested leads me to believe something "interesting" was tested.

Also, a dumb question - if Pakistan/China are not members of MTCR why would they portray the missiles being developed and tested were "MTCR Compliant" missiles?

Pakistan & China are aspirants for MTCR membership, though the road to it may be complicated since India is now a member. Nevertheless, many non-member states with indigenous missile programmes (of any sort) tend to voluntarily follow MTCR's guidelines. Pakistan has established an intent to do so. This is not just to strengthen possibility of future membership but also create a positive image i.e. responsible state.

What is important to understand here is that MTCR and similar Multilateral Export Control Regimes (i.e. NSG, Australia Group, & Wassenaar Arrangement) are "informal" bodies with no legal obligations. Their memberships, commitments, adherences, & any possible retribution to violations are purely political in nature. In most cases clandestine violations by states have gone unpunished anyway. Membership into these regimes give a sense of prestige to states as these groups are designed more to hegemonize dual-use technologies among technology-superior states then to prevent their proliferation. 

• ARMalik likes this
General Ashfaq Parvez "Next time we'll bring it down" Kayani

H Khan

H Khan

• Administrators
  • 15,345 posts

Here is my wild wild guess about the missile which was tested : Chinese YJ-62 Long Range Anti Ship Cruise Missile (ACSM). I think I saw the glimpse of this system during the rehearsal of the 23 March parade. 

H Khan

Pakistanis (irrespective of their standing in society) exult gossip, paranoia, superstition, and conspiracy theories more than the science of history- H Khan

yasser

yasser

• Members
  • 4,038 posts

Here is my wild wild guess about the missile which was tested : Chinese YJ-62 Long Range Anti Ship Cruise Missile (ACSM). I think I saw the glimpse of this system during the rehearsal of the 23 March parade. 

If true this is very impressive, makes a blockade of Karachi or Gwadar almost impossible. Range is around 400km

mominkhan

mominkhan

• Senior Members
  • 2,596 posts
What is really the difference between YJ-62 and C-602/Zarb? Are they not nearly the same?
Musalmaan ko musalmaan kar diya, toofan-i maghrib nay
talatum-ha'ay darya he say hai gohar ki sairaabi
--M. Iqbal

H Khan

H Khan

• Administrators
  • 15,345 posts

As I wrote earlier there is the serious problem with Pakistani especially ISPR that anything Chinese they use they will claim to be their own. C-602 and YJ-62 are Chinese

H Khan

yasser

yasser

• Members
  • 4,038 posts

As I wrote earlier there is the serious problem with Pakistani especially ISPR that anything Chinese they use they will claim to be their own. C-602 and YJ-62 are Chinese

Could be that we claim this when we license build them?

• Fahad L likes this

Sabre

Sabre

• Members
  • 298 posts

What is really the difference between YJ-62 and C-602/Zarb? Are they not nearly the same?

YJ-62 has greater range then C-602, which is its export version. But then C-602 has greater payload then YJ-62.

C-602's range is kept below 300km to voluntarily comply with MTCR guidelines in order to export it. If Pakistan has indeed acquired and tested YJ-62 (400km) then we would have to pass it as our own technology without mentioning China for this reason. Same goes for any other Chinese missile system with a range greater then 300km that we have acquired. Hence, it is not some sort of a 'problem' with ISPR but a cautious media reporting.

Having said the above, even the member states continue to violate the MTCR guidelines, let alone non-member states. If one has time they could even write a book about it. The Indo-US collaboration in the field of space and potential collaboration in the field of BMD is going to be excessive to MTCR guidelines. Politically and legally speaking there isn't much of an onus on either China or Pakistan here.

• Gaf, ARMalik and Abd-rehman Ali like this

ARMalik

ARMalik

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Agree with you Sabre. Frankly MTCR is a lot of Horse S..t. , more of a political tool and other nonsense that comes with it. To be politically correct, of course the military here releases "politically correct" statements, The reality is vastly different though.

• Sabre likes this

ARMalik

ARMalik

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Gentlemen, I have read that today 23 March Raad-2 was unveiled during the military parade. Is this correct? And if it is then this would surely have much longer range?

syed_yusuf

syed_yusuf

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

That is correct raad 2 with 550km range

Babur range not shared

Shaheen 3 with 2750 km range

If we take ratio of raad 1 and raad 2 range difference increase and apply to babur it turns out to be in the range of 1200km. Wonder if babur actual range is 1200-1500 km

ARMalik

ARMalik

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • LocationAustralia

So Babur-3's range can be 1200 to 1500 km. If true this would sort of match some versions of the US Tomahawk missile (although the platforms differ). It would be interesting to see if Babur can be turned into an anti-ship missile as well just like the Tomahawk.

H Khan

H Khan

• Administrators
  • 15,345 posts

Those Babar on TEL were exceptionally big meaning larger than what seen before. 

H Khan

Sabre

Sabre

• Members
  • 298 posts

1000+km range cruise missile is a necessity. Its just my opinion but we have been pretty late in developing it. However, its better not to hurry things into producing a mediocre system. It certainly did not help with India's Nirbhay.

Abd-rehman Ali

Abd-rehman Ali

• Members
  • 210 posts

So Babur-3's range can be 1200 to 1500 km. If true this would sort of match some versions of the US Tomahawk missile (although the platforms differ). It would be interesting to see if Babur can be turned into an anti-ship missile as well just like the Tomahawk.

The Babur test in December had an anti-ship capability.
  • ndad likes this

Aneel

Aneel

• Members
  • 361 posts

LY-80 is the first time Pakistan got hold of a cold launched missile. Would this help in any way in the development of other missiles in Pakistan's inventory?

However reverse engineering the cold launching mechanism for ballistic missiles would be difficult as that would require a higher pressure / tube strength.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users