Jf-17 Related Discussion – Jan ~ Dec 2017

432 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Nasr, I would say arming Iran actually benefits Pakistan in the scenario where other states try to replicate there what they have done in the Arab spring countries. 

Nasr likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Iran is desperate for a modern fighter. You'd think they can just speak to Russia now (both are sanctioned, so it shouldn't matter), but neither side is making headway on that front. I suspect it has to do with the fact that they can't barter with one another (remember: neither can easily approach third-party markets due to sanctions), they offer similar goods (fuel). 

As for Pakistan, we're desperate for cheap energy, like really cheap if we intend to escape our structural BoP issues. Fuel is our no. 1 import and the biggest drain on our hard-currency and cause for taking loans. 

So we have an issue here where, in theory, Pakistan can basically trade JF-17s (and other equipment) to Iran in-exchange for oil and/or gas. In theory, PAC can also manage the entire MRO process from within Pakistan, thus forcing Iran to keep sending its planes and engines over (so as to ensure it doesn't renege on the fuel arrangements). 20 years of cheap oil and gas would have a net-positive impact on our economy.

However, the biggest block on a JF-17 sale to Iran is the US and CAATSA. So I doubt we or China will proceed with a sale to Iran.

Edited by FaisalK
ndad likes this

Posted · Report post

JF-17 Takes off: Malaysia, Iran & Egypt interested in block 3

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/jf17-takes-off-malaysia-iran-egypt-interested-in-block-3/

​Don't forget Azerbaijan. I guess it's dawning on some countries that there's a relatively affordable multi-role fighter with an AESA radar and a certified set of MR-AAM, AShM, SOWs, ALCM, ARM, etc. on the market.

Posted · Report post

Looks like we will see JFT with many insignia's, only issue left to resolve is a better engine.

Posted · Report post

We've seen these reports before, I'll believe it when I see it. And Iran? That's far fetched to say the least.

ndad likes this

Posted · Report post

JF-17 Takes off: Malaysia, Iran & Egypt interested in block 3

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/jf17-takes-off-malaysia-iran-egypt-interested-in-block-3/

​Don't forget Azerbaijan. I guess it's dawning on some countries that there's a relatively affordable multi-role fighter with an AESA radar and a certified set of MR-AAM, AShM, SOWs, ALCM, ARM, etc. on the market.

The value proposition of JF-17 is amazing. It is enough to overcome much political pressure. Sales may well pay for Azm.