Welcome to PakDef.org : Pakistan Military Consortium
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jf-17 Related Discussion – Jan ~ Dec 2017

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

Usman S.

Usman S.

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,266 posts

Old thread is here: http://www.pakdef.or...–-jan-dec-2016/

There is a special Providence in the fall of a sparrow, if it be now, "tis not to come, if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be now, yet it will come, the readiness is all. [Hamlet]

Warraich

Warraich

• Members
  • 356 posts
I just hope with new year we see JF 17B and IFR probe plus the first export orders getting delivered.

More importantly announcement regarding completion of AESA, HMS & IRST selection procedure.

Best Regards
  • Ulla and Nasr like this

"And Make Ready Your Strength, To The Utmost Of Your Power". Quran

Brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all (Khalid bin Waleed)

"I'll be glad when we are no longer dependent on US aid". Winston Churchill - 1954

"Each time Paris was taken during last century, French resistance crumbled within an hour". Charles de Gaulle -1934

Men at their best Pakistan Army

H Khan

H Khan

• Administrators
  • 15,345 posts

Jane’s is reporting that RSAF is looking to invest and procure 155 JF-17 Block III with wide array of Chinese, Russian, South African and British weapons. 

H Khan

Pakistanis (irrespective of their standing in society) exult gossip, paranoia, superstition, and conspiracy theories more than the science of history- H Khan

zeeshan

zeeshan

• Senior Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
https://www.google.c...f?client=safari

And as for man, when his Lord tries him and [thus] is generous to him and favors him, he says, "My Lord has honored me."

But when He tries him and restricts his provision, he says, "My Lord has humiliated me."

No! But you do not honor the orphan

And you do not encourage one another to feed the poor.

And you consume inheritance, devouring [it] altogether,

And you love wealth with immense love.

Surat Al-Fajr.(89:15-20).

FaisalK

FaisalK

• Members
  • 2,908 posts

Jane’s is reporting that RSAF is looking to invest and procure 155 JF-17 Block III with wide array of Chinese, Russian, South African and British weapons.

Would be interesting to see if China can clear the smokeless WS-13E for them. It's being tested from the FC-31 right now. BTW Jane's yanked the article!

Regards;

mominkhan

mominkhan

• Senior Members
  • 2,596 posts

Google cache:

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

FC-31 to follow?

Musalmaan ko musalmaan kar diya, toofan-i maghrib nay
talatum-ha'ay darya he say hai gohar ki sairaabi
--M. Iqbal

A.Choudry

A.Choudry

• Members
  • 222 posts

significant news but I would wait and see. Members probably remember the premature news about al khalid and the saudis too. But on the flip side they do have a requirement for an aircraft of the jf17's type. I dont know if someone could confirm but are they still flying the F5? I'm not sure if they ever had those in their inventory? Also the tornados are getting a bit long in the tooth with the brits looking to retire most of them. But then they have eurofighters to cover the mutlirole area? what do members think they will best utilise the JF17?

• Hasher and ndad like this

syed_yusuf

syed_yusuf

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
READ replaced f5 with ef2000

yasser

yasser

• Members
  • 4,038 posts

If Saudia buy 155 JF-17S they are not just buying planes. They never just buy planes. They buy support.

1) They get to diversify and not just wedded to Euro/US systems and pressure

2) They will need thousands of PAF personnel to help set up maintain and train in Saudi locations. Maybe even stationing Pakstani JF-17 full time crews

3) Deal this size would cost about $10 Billion. That is a game changer for the Pakistani defence industry. We will be under immense pressure to bend to Saudi will

• Gaf and queman786 like this

ndad

ndad

• Members
  • 4,196 posts

If Saudia buy 155 JF-17S they are not just buying planes. They never just buy planes. They buy support.

1) They get to diversify and not just wedded to Euro/US systems and pressure
2) They will need thousands of PAF personnel to help set up maintain and train in Saudi locations. Maybe even stationing Pakstani JF-17 full time crews
3) Deal this size would cost about $10 Billion. That is a game changer for the Pakistani defence industry. We will be under immense pressure to bend to Saudi will

It's point 3 which worries me. This deal shouldn't happen to get pak on side. It should happen on merit alone. I hope pak doesn't acquiesce to demands which are contrary to its interests just to secure an arms deal, regardless of the sums involved.

ndad
  • Awais_Munawar likes this
There's none so blind as those who will not see

yasser

yasser

• Members
  • 4,038 posts

It's point 3 which worries me. This deal shouldn't happen to get pak on side. It should happen on merit alone. I hope pak doesn't acquiesce to demands which are contrary to its interests just to secure an arms deal, regardless of the sums involved.

ndad

Very few major arms deals are done on merit alone. If it was say South Korea building JF-17, do you think they would have even got a meeting with House of Saud?

Saudis pay attention to just three people in the world. US President, UK PM and Pak PM. Reasons for this are purely strategic. Even Russia and China do not get much of a look in.

This is one major factor in them possibly buying JF-17

mominkhan

mominkhan

• Senior Members
  • 2,596 posts

This is coming on the heels of the news about Raheel Sharif.  There is probably a lot going on.  KSA has financial worries and Pakistani weapons are definitely cheaper.  Outsourcing defence to Pakistan makes sense after their failed strategies in Syria and Yemen.

--M. Iqbal

mominkhan

mominkhan

• Senior Members
  • 2,596 posts

Duplicate.

--M. Iqbal

A.Choudry

A.Choudry

• Members
  • 222 posts

but again why go for our fighters? are they worried that their past guarantors (UK,US) will soon be ditching them? therefore having something that cant be sanctioned may be the way to go? 

I think the house of saud is beginning its long decline towards a succession battle in future. And if we have stationed personel there be they retired or otherwise it would automatically mean that we would become involved. 

yasser

yasser

• Members
  • 4,038 posts

but again why go for our fighters? are they worried that their past guarantors (UK,US) will soon be ditching them? therefore having something that cant be sanctioned may be the way to go? 

I think the house of saud is beginning its long decline towards a succession battle in future. And if we have stationed personel there be they retired or otherwise it would automatically mean that we would become involved. 

Think its fairly obvious that US/Saudi alliance will soon end. 

• Gaf, SSAAD and IbnAbdullah like this

SSAAD

SSAAD

• Senior Members
  • 11,171 posts

Yes exactly.  If Saudis think strategic, they would bankroll the hell out of the JF-17 program.  They have to start thinking about indigenization and if that takes partnership with Pakistan, so be it.  Pretty soon, they will find themselves in the same situation as Pakistan ala 90s and in such a situation, having even a rudimentary (going by their expensive tastes) fighter aircraft program is a good bet.  If not the JF-17, then perhaps the Turkish FX program, but either way, Saudis need to start thinking about which Muslim countries have already built significant infra and R&D into aircraft manufacturing and support the program.

• Gaf, A Khan, ndad and 2 others like this

FaisalK

FaisalK

• Members
  • 2,908 posts

Yes exactly.  If Saudis think strategic, they would bankroll the hell out of the JF-17 program.  They have to start thinking about indigenization and if that takes partnership with Pakistan, so be it.  Pretty soon, they will find themselves in the same situation as Pakistan ala 90s and in such a situation, having even a rudimentary (by their expensive tastes), fighter aircraft plan is a good bet.  If not the JF-17, then perhaps the Turkish FX program, but either way, Saudis need to start thinking about which Muslim countries have already built significant infra and R&D into aircraft manufacturing and support the program.

I think the prospect of the Saudis funding the TFX is very plausible. The Turks and Saudis have already begun a few programs between their respective defence industry vendors, e.g. Taqnia Group. I would begin keeping an eye on Algeria too, since they too - like the Saudis - are taking serious steps to build domestic defence production and support units. 

Regards;

H Khan

H Khan

• Administrators
  • 15,345 posts

Well, KSA has a requirement which is in the near future. The TFX is still in its conceptional phase

H Khan

Pakistanis (irrespective of their standing in society) exult gossip, paranoia, superstition, and conspiracy theories more than the science of history- H Khan

mominkhan

mominkhan

• Senior Members
  • 2,596 posts

Yes exactly.  If Saudis think strategic, they would bankroll the hell out of the JF-17 program.  They have to start thinking about indigenization and if that takes partnership with Pakistan, so be it.  Pretty soon, they will find themselves in the same situation as Pakistan ala 90s and in such a situation, having even a rudimentary (going by their expensive tastes) fighter aircraft program is a good bet.  If not the JF-17, then perhaps the Turkish FX program, but either way, Saudis need to start thinking about which Muslim countries have already built significant infra and R&D into aircraft manufacturing and support the program.

The advantage of going with JF-17 is the easy and quick path to a 5th gen fighter.  They are not getting F-35 any time soon.  While Turkey has made accommodation with Russia over Syria (leave the north to them), the Saudis will find it hard to embrace Russia and get T-50.

--M. Iqbal

H Khan

H Khan

• Administrators
  • 15,345 posts

I would disagree I think the Saudi and the Russians work together in OPEC plus two years ago Saudi, Ruskie and the Chinese were working on the modalities to unpeg their currencies with the dollar. This makes them sort of natural allies. 

H Khan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users