Indian Army News & Views - 2016

105 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Russia-India draft agreement for sale of S-400 SAM system is ready. Sale is supposedly worth $6 billion. http://tass.ru/en/defense/865739

This is the most significant procurement that India will have made in the last 10years if it goes through, and presents a new and significant threat for Pakistan. Its a challenge, that will need to be countered with a low level supersonic cruise missile.

Posted · Report post

If this goes ahead it will be very significant. However, don't be surprised that this deal falls at the final hurdle. Can Russia sell the same weapon system to India which it sold to China first?

Posted · Report post

I remember recently that this S-400 deal was contingent on Bharat involvement in PAK FA plus $10 billion promised investment

Posted · Report post

They have so many deal "about to be signed", if they all were they would have the most powerful military in Asia

Posted · Report post

Can a modified CM-400 AKG be used against S-400?

Posted · Report post

Can a modified CM-400 AKG be used against S-400?

More a target for Ra'ad and Babur with proximity fuse warhead with ball bearing ammo.

yasser likes this

Posted · Report post

Both of them are subsonic and can be taken out by the S-400 itself. CM-400 AKG/YJ-12 has the advantage of being hypersonic or close to it, but it is optimized for the naval role. I guess it boils down to the terrain-hugging "stealth" features of our current cruise missiles versus the speed of this one.

Posted · Report post

The main feature of CM-400 is that it can attack its moving target at a very high kinetic energy (KE). The KE causes more damage tot eh target than the explosive it has.

The CM advantage is that if could fly at 100 feet the radar will have a lot of difficulty in tracking it. The initial barrage of CM is almost 90% complete surprise. Afterwards the AD units tend to figure out the route of the CM and are able to shot it down.

Posted · Report post

The main feature of CM-400 is that it can attack its moving target at a very high kinetic energy (KE). The KE causes more damage tot eh target than the explosive it has.

The CM advantage is that if could fly at 100 feet the radar will have a lot of difficulty in tracking it. The initial barrage of CM is almost 90% complete surprise. Afterwards the AD units tend to figure out the route of the CM and are able to shot it down.

Would MALD-like decoys, i.e taking Ra'ad and loading it with RF jamming equipment, work in saturating the enemy radar picture?

Posted · Report post

The best known and affordable defense against any low-flying aircraft and CM is to have steel net afloat incircle around an AB or any other HVI.

FaisalK likes this

Posted · Report post

I still believe that as important an emphasis is laid on our Air Force, so should there be an equally important emphasis be laid on Surface-to-Air Missile Defense Systems. If Russia can sell the same S-400s to india, that it did China. Then I see no reason why Pakistan cannot buy the same SAM system as well. 

Posted · Report post

I still believe that as important an emphasis is laid on our Air Force, so should there be an equally important emphasis be laid on Surface-to-Air Missile Defense Systems. If Russia can sell the same S-400s to india, that it did China. Then I see no reason why Pakistan cannot buy the same SAM system as well. 

The Chinese don't object to anything India buys. They don't give a shit. They know they are decades ahead of them in economics and "make-in-china" capabilities. India on the other hand shits the bed every time the tiny insignificant satellite state of Pakistan buys something new. They then dangle their imaginary large orders in front of the vendors to dissuade them from selling to Pakistan. Here is your reason. It will continue like this until Pakistan fixes its economy and then approaches vendors with hard cash for purchases.  

Gaf, Aliusman, queman786 and 3 others like this

Posted · Report post

The Chinese don't object to anything India buys. They don't give a shit. They know they are decades ahead of them in economics and "make-in-china" capabilities. India on the other hand shits the bed every time the tiny insignificant satellite state of Pakistan buys something new. They then dangle their imaginary large orders in front of the vendors to dissuade them from selling to Pakistan. Here is your reason. It will continue like this until Pakistan fixes its economy and then approaches vendors with hard cash for purchases.  

To be fair we do that on a scale we can afford when and were it is possible. India put pressure on Brazil and Italy and we just handed over the cash and they went ahead with MAR-1 and Grifo/Falco.

Harder to do with US/France etc as the big boys want more cash, but Pak is certainly aware of how to play the game as it were

Aliusman likes this

Posted · Report post

French went with India as they lured them with Imaginary Big orders and was not in mood to sell RDY or RBE2 back in 2008. Oh Wait

How many Rafale are flying in IAF colors :0

How many Rafale will be flying in IAF colors in next 5 years : 0

yasser likes this

Posted · Report post

Rafale will be inducted into the IAF and much sooner than the 5 years you mention.  This is because their availability rate of ~55% across their leading MKI fleet is atrocious.  They realize they need a quick infusion of high tech/availability platform and for now Rafale is it.

Gaf likes this

Posted · Report post

Yara, this is India we are talking about.  They leak it to their media to talk about the F/A-18s just to pressure the French and Dassault.  This is how the game is played by them.  If they switch to F/A-18, they are adding another 12-18 months to just the ordering process, exactly what the IAF does not need.  They will end up with Rafale and that will be the extent of all this in my opinion.

Posted · Report post

Saad its 2016 you wont see Rafale in IAF colors in 2021 ... Just like it was selected in 2011 and its still not in IAF colors.

Posted · Report post

Saad its 2016 you wont see Rafale in IAF colors in 2021 ... Just like it was selected in 2011 and its still not in IAF colors.

Let me put an Inshallah on that...lol!

queman786, IbnAbdullah and Aliusman like this

Posted · Report post

Yara, this is India we are talking about.  They leak it to their media to talk about the F/A-18s just to pressure the French and Dassault.  This is how the game is played by them.  If they switch to F/A-18, they are adding another 12-18 months to just the ordering process, exactly what the IAF does not need.  They will end up with Rafale and that will be the extent of all this in my opinion.

If the Indians were pragmatic they would've just stuck with the Mirage 2000-5s. Imagine if they had bought the entire production line, and manufacture a total of at least 200 jets for their own domestic usage. I honestly believe the M2K would have easily done away with their MiG-23s, MiG-27s, and Jaguars by now. On top of that, they could've used their relationship with Israel to upgrade the M2K with an AESA radar, HMD/S, HOBS AAM, LRAAM, DRFM-equipped EW and ECM.

Posted · Report post

Good point Faisal, you could argue Indian aviation industry has taken a step back over the last few decades