Welcome to PakDef.org : Pakistan Military Consortium
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pakistan - On The Mend!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

mominkhan

mominkhan

• Senior Members
  • 2,596 posts
Pakistan is actually primed for explosive growth. While the government is saddled with debt, private enterprise is not. Majority of businesses are small cap. There are few monopolies. What businesses need are infrastructure, communications, power and access to capital. All these are coming our way.
Musalmaan ko musalmaan kar diya, toofan-i maghrib nay
talatum-ha'ay darya he say hai gohar ki sairaabi
--M. Iqbal

zeeshan

zeeshan

• Senior Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Assalamaoalukum,

Pakistan's 5 billion dollar IT export report:

https://www.youtube....9dKHJiLjY#t=427

And as for man, when his Lord tries him and [thus] is generous to him and favors him, he says, "My Lord has honored me."

But when He tries him and restricts his provision, he says, "My Lord has humiliated me."

No! But you do not honor the orphan

And you do not encourage one another to feed the poor.

And you consume inheritance, devouring [it] altogether,

And you love wealth with immense love.

Surat Al-Fajr.(89:15-20).

zeeshan

zeeshan

• Senior Members
  • 3,858 posts
Assalamaoalukum

Interesting analysis from WSJ. I have been to Pakistan only once in 28 years but from what I hear from my patients and family members is pretty good. Everyone tells me "Pakistan is under construction".

https://www.google.c...1?client=safari
  • H Rehman likes this

And as for man, when his Lord tries him and [thus] is generous to him and favors him, he says, "My Lord has honored me."

But when He tries him and restricts his provision, he says, "My Lord has humiliated me."

NoorKashmiri

NoorKashmiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

figures for growth have to be looked at proprtionally. If you have a nearly non existence middle class and it then suddenly doubles, that's great, but in reality your middle class might still be quite small. We should also look at making sure the right kind of industries are flourishing. Tailors, resturants, shops and other services industries is great, but we need things like farming, manufacturing, IT (for me this is the new manufacturing). I also think construction and property should be looked upon with caution. it's true property being built and sold contributes towards an economy, but most of these transactions are either money being laundered, or debt being taken. industry based on debt is not sustainable in the long term.

I'm glad for every drop of betterment, we just need to make sure it's regulated and sustainable.

• Aziz, yasser, A Khan and 4 others like this

mominkhan

mominkhan

• Senior Members
  • 2,596 posts

Time to buy Global X MSCI Pakistan ETF?

big_pic.png?1327090356
Steve Auger
Follow(143 followers)
Research analyst, special situations, long/short equity, ETF investing
Summary

Pakistan, known for unrest, coups and poverty, has been making progress in the areas of security, politics, and economics over the past few years.

Economic growth is showing signs of sustained recovery, driven primarily by initiation of the China Pakistan Economic Corridor.

Pakistan will be reclassified from MSCI Frontier Markets to Emerging Markets coinciding with the May 2017 Semi-Annual Index Review. History shows that inclusion in the EM Index causes large stock.

The proposed trade is to buy PAK and hold until May 2017, when the MSCI Pakistan Index is formally included in the MSCI Emerging Markets Index.

The trade has multiple risks, including the working-age population, protectionism, weather, tensions in the South China Sea, and political instability.

Pakistan has been making progress in the areas of security, politics, and economics over the past few years. The first democratic transition from one elected government to another occurred in 2013, with the Pakistan Muslim League-N of Nawaz Sharif forming the government, based on a platform of private sector-led economic growth. The country has since struggled through three tough years aided by low energy prices and government reforms, with the end result being a more stable economy and a bright outlook, more than can be said for many other countries.

Less poverty and increasing middle class

Pakistan has made substantial progress in reducing poverty since the turn of the century, declining from 64.3% percent in 2001 to 29.5% percent in 2014. 38% of all households are now considered to be middle-class, while another 4% are upper class.

318104_14861135609655_rId9.png

Source: WSJ.com

As per the Wall Street Journal:

[These middle class] households are likely to have a motorcycle, color TV, refrigerator, washing machine and at least one member who has completed school up to the age of 16, the study found. Official figures show that the proportion of households that own a motorcycle soared to 34% in 2014 from 4% in 1991, and a washing machine to 47% from 13% over that same period. These trends are also attracting international business.

Musalmaan ko musalmaan kar diya, toofan-i maghrib nay
talatum-ha'ay darya he say hai gohar ki sairaabi
--M. Iqbal

Abbas

Abbas

• Senior Members
  • 631 posts
Aiming high is Pakistan’s way forward

http://blogs.worldba...n-s-way-forward

NavBaby

Pakistan Will Prevail

A Khan

A Khan

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
Fitch affirms Pakistan at 'B'; outlook deemed stable

By Reuters Published: February 6, 2017

HONG KONG: Fitch Ratings has affirmed Pakistan’s Long-Term Foreign- and Local-Currency Issuer Default Ratings (IDRs) at ‘B’ with stable outlooks.

The issue ratings on Pakistan’s senior unsecured foreign- and local-currency bonds, country ceiling as well as the Short-Term Local- and Foreign-Currency IDRs are also affirmed at ‘B’.

The issue ratings on the third Pakistan International Sukuk Company Limited’s foreign-currency global certificates have also been affirmed at ‘B’. The company was incorporated primarily for the purpose of facilitating sukuk transactions and is wholly owned by Pakistan.

Key rating drivers

Pakistan’s ratings balance broad gains have been achieved over the International Monetary Fund (IMF) programme against a high public debt/GDP ratio, low scores on the World Bank governance indicators and heightened security risks.

Pakistan completed a three-year IMF Extended Fund Facility (EFF) in September 2016. The country has entered 12 IMF programmes since 1988.

IMF clears payment to Pakistan in 3-year programme

Under the programme, reserves were strengthened, the fiscal deficit reduced and significant progress was made on structural reform. Pressure related to the 2018 elections could test the government’s commitment to maintaining the policy framework set out by the IMF.

The country’s economic outlook has brightened since the start of the programme, with annual GDP growth rising to 4.7% in the financial year ending June-2016 (FY16), from 3.7% in FY13, above the ‘B’ median of 3.6%.

Fitch expects growth to strengthen to 5.3% in FY17, lifted by a recovery in agricultural output following poor weather conditions in the previous season and an influx of investment linked to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

Govt anticipates $4b investment in three industrial zones along CPEC

“We forecast continued strong domestic demand, with private consumption aided by faster credit growth. Remittances have moderated, as over half come from Gulf economies that are adjusting to lower energy prices, but a sharper slowdown is a downside risk. A sharp slowdown in remittances is a downside risk, as over half come from Gulf economies that are still adjusting to lower energy prices.”

Inflation slowed to 2.9% in FY16, a positive development for a country that has experienced higher and more volatile inflation than the ‘B’ median. Fitch expects inflation to increase to 4.5% in FY17 and 4.8% in FY18, as commodity prices slowly recover. Inflation is then forecast to remain stable in the medium term.

Consumer price index: Inflation rate stays at 3.7%

Central bank financing of the fiscal deficit is an upside risk to inflation; government borrowing is shifting back towards the State Bank of Pakistan after moving towards private banks under the IMF programme. The banking sector has performed well, with improvements shown across IMF’s Financial Soundness indicators.

Non-performing loans remained high at 11.1% of total loans at FYE16, though this is down from a peak of 14.8% at end-June 2013. Pakistan’s public debt/GDP ratio of 64.8% at end-FY16 was higher than the ‘B’ median of 56.7%, but Fitch expects the ratio to gradually fall in the medium-term if the country can sustain its progress with fiscal consolidation.

The general government budget deficit fell to 4.6% of GDP in FY16, from 5.3% in FY15, with revenues boosted by structural reforms, including the lowering of the number of tax concessions. Fitch projects the budget deficit to continue narrowing gradually if the economy performs in line with our baseline scenario and the government remains committed to the policy plans set out during the IMF programme.

The accumulation of losses in public sector enterprises (PSE), particularly electricity distribution companies, has in the past led to injections of funds from the federal government budget to clear debt. Efficiency improvements, higher tariffs and lower energy prices have helped cut PSE losses.

Fitch assigns rating to Pakistan’s Sukuk

However, plans to sustain long-term efficiency gains through privatisation have been delayed due to objections from workers and political opposition. PSE losses could rise considerably if Pakistan suffers an economic shock or there is a sharp rise in energy prices, ultimately feeding through to the government balance sheet.

“We do not expect Pakistan to face external liquidity difficulties in our baseline scenario, but increasing gross external financing needs could increase the country’s vulnerability to shifts in investor sentiment.”

External debt service costs are likely to increase in the medium-term, with $2.75 billion of international bonds maturing between FY17 and FY20. The country will also start paying back the $6.4 billion IMF facility and $11.7 billion of rescheduled Paris Club debt in FY18 and FY17, respectively, albeit over an extended timeframe.

Fitch also expects the current account deficit to widen as energy prices start to recover and capital imports increase with higher infrastructure investment, although such investments will be heavily funded by Chinese entities as part of the CPEC.

12 energy projects under CPEC to be completed by 2017-18

Pakistan demonstrated market access in October 2016 by issuing a $1 billion sukuk at a historically low yield of 5.5%. Geopolitical tension and security threats could negatively affect the economic outlook and investor sentiment.

Pakistan has had a series of disagreements with India in 2016 over violent incidents along the shared border, marking a turn in relations that had shown tentative signs of improvement in the previous two years.

Domestic terrorist incidents remain frequent, particularly in Balochistan province and along the Afghanistan border, although the number of attacks fell in 2016 compared with the previous year and annual civilian casualties from terrorist activities are at the lowest point since 2006.

Hasib

Hasib

• Members
  • 550 posts

https://www.bloomber...easant-surprise

Pakistan's Economy Is a Pleasant Surprise

Feb 6, 2017 5:00 PM EST

By Tyler Cowen

Each year I perform the exercise of picking what I think is the most underrated (and overrated) economy in the world. Past winners have included Germany, Mexico and, more recently, the Philippines. The designation is tricky, because it can go to an ailing country with an excessively bad reputation or maybe to a known star with virtues beyond what people understand. This year I see a clear winner: Pakistan.

It’s obvious the country does not have a great external reputation. In a recent poll of favorability, Americans ranked Pakistan at No. 136 among 144 nations. As an experiment, I typed “Pakistan” into Google’s news search and the leading entries referred either to terrorism issues or to the possible extension of President Donald Trump’s travel ban.

Yet most of Pakistan’s developments are fairly positive. For instance, the stock market has put in a good performance, rising 46 percent over the last year. Emerging-economy equities are not in every way representative of how the broader economy is doing, but again we are talking “underrated” here.

Gross-domestic-product growth has hovered in the range of 4 percent and now may be reaching 5 percent. That’s not going to rival recent Chinese performance, but it is enough to put the economy on a fairly positive path. Since 2002, the rate of poverty has fallen by half, and over the past three years the rate of terrorist deaths has declined by two-thirds. It’s now the case that 47 percent of Pakistani households own a washing machine, up from 13 percent in 1991, and retail is booming more generally.

On the macro side, inflation is not a problem, the country has staved off a foreign-exchange crisis, and it is rebuilding its reserves. The debt-to-GDP ratio is high at more than 60 percent, but the country has graduated from its adjustment program with the International Monetary Fund and appears to be in a stable fiscal state.

Or consider the comparison with India. India has established a reputation as one of the world’s most dynamic and rapidly growing economies. Yet until 2008, Pakistan and India had roughly comparable per capita incomes. The two countries have a common history and a lot of common culture. Is it crazy to think that Pakistan might pull even once again?

Pakistan’s improvement matters because, with approximately 200 million people, it is the sixth most populous country in the world. It is also a nuclear power, and arguably a key to peace in the region. I don’t know many people who were predicting Pakistan’s progress in 2001, and so is one of the world’s most pleasant surprises.

Quicktake Pakistan’s Turmoil

To be sure, the problems remain staggering. The education system is poor, exports are not making progress and rely too heavily on textiles, investment is insufficient, and much of the country has a series of interlocking problems with weather, water and drought. The political situation is improved but still far from ideal, and Pakistan is not situated in a calm part of the world. There is plenty of talk of the country benefiting from China’s “One Belt, One Road” initiative, but for now I consider that speculative.

The good news, of course, is for every problem there is a solution and thus another source of potential growth. Switzerland doesn’t have the same potential to improve itself, because the country is already so nice and well-ordered.

Which are the other contenders for most underrated country? The Sri Lanka story is now well-known, and besides the country’s prospects have dimmed as of late. Iran is a contender, as is Saudi Arabia, if only because so many people are convinced the country is going bankrupt.

But my runner-up pick is actually the U.S., which these days is experiencing so much negative news coverage. Yet most of the traditional strengths of the American economy remain intact, whether or not you approve of the current proprietors of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. This is reflected by the continuing high level of equity prices.

When I started pondering this “underrated” question about 15 years ago, it was mainly about guessing hidden strengths of various economies, based on esoteric knowledge of sectors and regions and histories. These days, it is most of all an exercise in gauging media overreactions. The underrated countries are places you read and hear lots about, not obscure locales you’ve barely heard of.

It’s a sad world where discarding “what you think you know that ain’t so” has so grown in importance.

zeeshan

zeeshan

• Senior Members
  • 3,858 posts
Assalamaoalukum

Good to see picture of Karachi on the top

https://ca.yahoo.com...w-wp-172329347/

Abbas

Abbas

• Senior Members
  • 631 posts

Beyond the headlines of terrorism, Pakistan’s economy is on the rise

https://www.washingt...m=.e4b2d5aa550c

Pakistan Will Prevail

Abbas

Abbas

• Senior Members
  • 631 posts

Ski resort razed by the Taliban lifts Pakistan's domestic tourism

http://www.reuters.c...m-idUSKBN15Z27J

• yasser likes this
Pakistan Will Prevail

asaracen

asaracen

• Members
  • 142 posts
We managed tax transparency in Pakistan. Why not everywhere else?
https://www.theguard...rld-politicians

ndad

ndad

• Members
  • 4,196 posts

We managed tax transparency in Pakistan. Why not everywhere else?
https://www.theguard...rld-politicians

Lack of ghairat and accountability means that even though they've been exposed, they still don't give a ****.

ndad
  • Gaf, SSAAD, A Khan and 1 other like this
There's none so blind as those who will not see

SSAAD

SSAAD

• Senior Members
  • 11,171 posts

Yes things are tough and bad in Pakistan, but people in Pakistan too need to realize that the World is not coming crashing down on them only because of corruption.  TI's corruption rankings show Pakistan doing better in some areas than other countries but still ways to go.  Police corruption seems to be the worst in Pakistan:

https://www.forbes.c...t/#b8af0a41201f

The higher the score the worse.

Overall score:

Pakistan: 40

China: 26

India: 69

Vietnam: 65

Thailand, Myanmar: 40

Indonesia: 32

Malaysia: 23

SL:15

Australia: 4

South Korea: 3%

and get this......

Japan: 0.2%!!!!!!!

• IbnAbdullah likes this

asaracen

asaracen

• Members
  • 142 posts
Not sure if this is the right thread.
Anyway Pakistan Star is all the rage!
http://www.atimes.co...-pakistan-star/

A Khan

A Khan

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
Pakistan, South Korea ink Rs10b loan pact to build an IT park in Islamabad

Published: March 21, 2017

Pakistan and South Korea on Tuesday signed a loan agreement of Rs10 billion to build first state-of-the-art Information Technology Park in Islamabad, Radio Pakistan reported.

The loan agreement was inked by the Ministry of Information Technology and Korea Exim Bank as part of the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s vision of Digital Pakistan.

Minister of State for Information Technology Anusha Rehman said the Islamabad Park, spreading over 42 acres of land, will have a data centre and capacity to accommodate over 100 IT companies.

Further, the IT minister said the modern technology park would be an integrated facility and help realise the dream of digital Pakistan. “After Islamabad, international standard information technology parks will also be set up in Karachi and Lahore.”

Going digital: Judicial e-stamp papers launched  

While witnessing the signing ceremony, Minister for Finance Ishaq Dar said, “The government has a clear programme to a digital and financially inclusive Pakistan.”

It was during the previous tenure of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) that the Awami Markaz building in Islamabad was converted into a software park and now a proper multi-purpose park is to be established with the assistance of South Korea, he added.

“Pakistan looks forward towards Korea for closer cooperation,” Dar said. At the same time he pointed out that Korea also helped construct Pakistan’s first motorway; the Islamabad-Lahore Motorway.

Modern techniques: IT virtually reduces world to global village, UAF VC says

The representative of the Korean Exim Bank said his institution decided to cooperate with Pakistan in the field of IT in view of the vast potential of the country in the sector.

There are over 2,000 IT companies in Pakistan and universities are producing hundreds of thousands of IT professionals, he added. “The Korean Exim Bank is ready to contribute towards socio-economic development of Pakistan.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users