Pakistan's Foreign Policy

859 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Khalid,

I think you are giving a little too much credit to the man. Anyway, regardless of whether or what happened, Pakistani foreign policy on several fronts is in critical condition. IMHO, even the PPP govt handled foreign policy better than what has happened to it during NS era.

You're right. PPP effectively handed foreign policy over to the army as it was too busy screwing the economy and stealing where it could. 

NS on the other hand wants to keep control of everything, even to the point that such an approach is detrimental to the state  

ndad

Posted (edited) · Report post

SSAAD,

Sorry, I did not quite understand your point. Are you saying that because trump did not mention any other Muslim majority countries suffering at the hand of terrorism in this regard so Pakistan should not mind? Or may be that partvof your post was just rhetorical?

As for discretion being a good thing (sometimes) even when forced upon someone, I agree, but again it speaks volumes about Pakistan's foreign policy. The article clearly states that NS was getting ready to deliver a speech, and I think by giving NOC to raheel Sharif, Pakistan has already chosen sides  (only time will tell how good/bad this policy decision was).

​Yes that post is a convoluted mess.  I was indeed saying Pakistan is not an exception.  That idiot did not mention Afghanistan, Turkey among others who have bled and continue to bleed badly.  Point was that the chap who wrote up that gripe about Pakistan being sidelined probably missed the entire context or has an overblown perception of Pakistan's importance at the World and Arab stage.

We should think about what the intent for this whole tamasha in KSA really was.  It was for the Saudis to show the Americans they still have leverage over the Muslim world so Americans should continue dealing with them.  In that tamasha, mind you it was not an "Anti Terrorism Conference" or anything of the sort, why would the hosts give up the chance to a third party (Pakistan) to take the floor?  Unless this was an occasion for all to speak up which it wasn't.  The Saudis had a few of their token supporters to take the stage and wax eloquence about what the Saudis are doing etc. etc..  Did Pakistan want to add its voice to that just so we could say we too were invited to talk?  Is that the rona/gripe?

I am not even blaming the GoP or Saudis here, just saying journalists such as above should let it go instead of taking it as a disrespect.  For as long as we stretch the receiving hand out, as a nation we should expect such discourtesies to be par for the course.

&&$%#%# 300 million strong country and still taking bakhshish and expecting to be raised in honour.  That simply does not happen.

Edited by SSAAD
queman786, Amar, H Rehman and 1 other like this

Posted · Report post

SSAAD,

Sorry, I did not quite understand your point. Are you saying that because trump did not mention any other Muslim majority countries suffering at the hand of terrorism in this regard so Pakistan should not mind? Or may be that partvof your post was just rhetorical?

As for discretion being a good thing (sometimes) even when forced upon someone, I agree, but again it speaks volumes about Pakistan's foreign policy. The article clearly states that NS was getting ready to deliver a speech, and I think by giving NOC to raheel Sharif, Pakistan has already chosen sides  (only time will tell how good/bad this policy decision was).

​Yes that post is a convoluted mess.  I was indeed saying Pakistan is not an exception.  That idiot did not mention Afghanistan, Turkey among others who have bled and continue to bleed badly.  Point was that the chap who wrote up that gripe about Pakistan being sidelined probably missed the entire context or has an overblown perception of Pakistan's importance at the World and Arab stage.

We should think about what the intent for this whole tamasha in KSA really was.  It was for the Saudis to show the Americans they still have leverage over the Muslim world so Americans should continue dealing with them.  In that tamasha, mind you it was not an "Anti Terrorism Conference" or anything of the sort, why would the hosts give up the chance to a third party (Pakistan) to take the floor?  Unless this was an occasion for all to speak up which it wasn't.  The Saudis had a few of their token supporters to take the stage and wax eloquence about what the Saudis are doing etc. etc..  Did Pakistan want to add its voice to that just so we could say we too were invited to talk?  Is that the rona/gripe?

I am not even blaming the GoP or Saudis here, just saying journalists such as above should let it go instead of taking it as a disrespect.  For as long as we stretch the receiving hand out, as a nation we should expect such discourtesies to be par for the course.

&&$%#%# 300 million strong country and still taking bakhshish and expecting to be raised in honour.  That simply does not happen.

​Indeed it was a Saudi show to showcase its leadership in the Muslim (Sunni) world & to reinvigorate Saudi-US alliance that had essentially been dormant during Obama's period. Whether the show succeeded or not is a different argument. PM shouldn't have been there, let alone talk about anything. A special representative would have sufficed. But present government has personal relations with the Saudis so they had to approach from the highest level. I am going to say something controversial but Gen (R) Rahil Sharif should have been invited to talk. He is slowly beginning to look like defacto head of the Saudi Army & going to be the man in-charge of Saudi led anti-terror operations (Whatever & where ever that may be).

As for Pakistani journalism its 'damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.' Had the PM talked they would have cooked up the narrative of government committing forces or military support to Saudi alliance, even though it had earlier denied it, etc etc ... My grandfather used to say 'no news is good news' & no news & good news don't sell. They have to keep the shop running.

Posted · Report post

Picture of Gen (R) Sharif having meal with Jared Kushner and Prince Salman (Saudi defence minister) during the summit. Agreed, this was a Saudi show put on to impress Trump with how much sway they have in the Muslim world. Nawaz played his role dutifully, nothing wrong with that, he owes them many favours. Our dealings with US should be done off our own backs. Saudis will always push our cause with US. Would not be surprised if Saudi was behind finance and recent Erieye deal. 

They ordered two Eriyes. One is in storage in Saudi and one Swedes did not deliver, good chance we may be getting these as part of the recent deal that was announced

Posted · Report post

They ordered two Eriyes. One is in storage in Saudi and one Swedes did not deliver, good chance we may be getting these as part of the recent deal that was announced

​Can you plz share bit more detail about the one which was not deliver to KSA, If I remember the deal was not cancelled by any of the party to this deal ....

Posted · Report post

​Can you plz share bit more detail about the one which was not deliver to KSA, If I remember the deal was not cancelled by any of the party to this deal ....

A large number of Swedish media report on 10 March 2015 that the government in Stockholm is cancelling the 10-year old defence cooperation with Saudi Arabia. Once confirmed by the government – something it is said to do soon – it will definitely mean that there will be no second (or third) SAAB E-2000 (Saab 2000 Erieye) Airborne Early Warning & Control aircraft heading towards the Kingdom.

http://airheadsfly.com/2015/03/10/swedish-saudi-deal-cancelled-no-more-saab-aew-planes/

HRK likes this

Posted · Report post

Yes, KSA only received two out of three.

From reading it is clear that these newer Erieye will have enhanced capabilities.

Fahad L, HRK and yasser like this

Posted · Report post

Well, first Trump blaming India for demanding money for the Paris Climate accord, and now Putin politely telling the Indians to grow up. This is great !

Putin dismisses Indian fears over growing Pak-Russia ties, calls them 'ridiculous'

https://www.dawn.com/news/1336966/putin-dismisses-indian-fears-over-growing-pak-russia-ties-calls-them-ridiculous

Gaf likes this