Iranian Military Watch - 2015

19 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

With sanctions to be lifted on Iran and a common border with Pakistan, it is time to watching Iranian conventional military developments more closely that we have historically.

http://www.janes.com/article/53485/analysis-boom-time-beckons-for-iranian-air-force-with-sanctions-set-to-be-lifted

Analysis: Boom time beckons for Iranian air force, with sanctions set to be lifted

Gareth Jennings, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
05 August 2015

Just weeks after Iran agreed in Vienna a deal limiting its ability to manufacture a nuclear bomb, the Iranian air force is already positioning itself to revamp its ageing inventory, all but crippled by 36 years of international sanctions, reports Gareth Jennings .

Under a deal signed on 14 July between the Iranian government and the leaders of China, France, Germany, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States, international economic sanctions on Iran will be lifted now that Tehran has agreed to limit its nuclear activities.

For the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF), this represents an unparalleled opportunity to recapitalise an inventory of outdated and increasingly unserviceable aircraft types that were either received from the United States ahead of the country's revolution in 1979 or seized from Iraq following the Gulf War in 1991.

With the historic agreement still less than a month old, the IRIAF has already been linked with the potential procurement of new combat aircraft from both China and France, in the guise of the Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) J-10B and the Dassault Mirage 2000 respectively. According to media reports citing anonymous military and intelligence officials, Beijing has offered to supply the IRIAF with up to 150 J-10B fighters plus associated weaponry, while Paris is reported to have offered to supply surplus Mirage 2000 jets, which are in the process of being replaced in French service by the Rafale.

Neither has Russia been slow in getting in on the act. Moscow is said to be eyeing up a possible sale of either surplus or newbuild MiG and/or Sukhoi fighters to Iran.

Prior to the revolution in 1979, the United States supplied the Shah of Iran with about 500 of its latest-generation combat aircraft (79 Grumman F-14A Tomcats; 177 McDonnell Douglas F-4E, 32 F-4D and 16 RF-4E Phantom IIs; and 141 F-5E and 28 F-5F Tiger IIs). Combined with the many Lockheed Martin C-130E/H Hercules and Boeing 707 transport aircraft, Lockheed Martin P-3F Orion maritime patrol aircraft, and Boeing CH-47A Chinook, Bell UH-1 Iroquois, and Bell AH-1 Cobra helicopters also received, these made the then Imperial Iranian Air Force one of the most capable in the region, if not the world.

US sustainment and support of these platforms ceased with the fall of the Shah, however, leaving Iran to maintain them on its own. Though these US-supplied aircraft were later augmented with Chinese and interned Iraqi fighters (including French and Russian types), international sanctions meant Iran still faced an uphill struggle to keep them serviceable and fit for purpose.

In the face of the international arms embargo that has limited the IRIAF's access to badly needed spare parts, Iran has resorted to

cannibalising aircraft deemed beyond repair, reverse-engineering some parts, sourcing others on the black market, and developing its own indigenous platforms.

Along with war losses and attrition, the cannibalisation of aircraft has helped reduce the IRIAF to a shadow of the force it was in 1979. According to IHS Jane's World Air Forces , the IRIAF today numbers some 370 fast jets. While this number may appear respectable enough on paper, only a fraction are believed to be available for tasking at any given time.

Iran has been somewhat successful in reverse-engineering many of the parts it has needed. The country's domestic aerospace industry (chiefly HESA and the Iranian Armed Forces Aviation Industries Organisation [iAFAIO]) has made great strides in indigenously manufacturing what it requires to sustain the country's military capabilities. The Iranian government has claimed the country is able to produce about 70% of the spare parts required to keep this fleet airworthy, and recently even asserted it had achieved complete self-sufficiency in this field (although these claims are believed to be exaggerated).

Over the years Iran has also tried to source the materials it needs from the black market abroad. Evidence of this third-party sourcing emerged in 2009 with the jailing in the UK of three businessmen who had sought to smuggle components into Iran, and in 2011 with a thwarted attempt to smuggle nine Bell 212 'Huey' helicopters and parts into the country from Spain.

Finally, Iran has sought to develop its own fighters (and other types as well) with, it has to be said, mixed results. Most of these have seemed plausible enough, being based quite obviously on US-types already in its inventory, such as the F-5-derived Azarakhsh (Lightning), Saeghe (Thunderbolt), and Simorgh (Phoenix). However, the Qaher (Conqueror/Omnipotent) F-313 'stealth fighter' was met with almost universal derision when it was rolled out in 2013 as many of its features showed it to be fundamentally flawed and hardly fit for flight, let alone combat.

The lifting of sanctions will therefore enable Iran to take an altogether more conventional path in the long-overdue renewal of its inventory. With countries already seemingly queuing up to offer their wares, the IRIAF stands on the brink of a recapitalisation effort that could dwarf even the one that took place under the Shah in the 1970s.

....... ( truncated Janes report ).

Posted · Report post

Not to start a debate on this, but if the Congress does approves the Bill ( seems highly unlikely at the moment ) it would be 5 years after it goes into effect that Military sanctions would be lifted, per the deal between Iran and P5+1.

H Khan likes this

Posted · Report post

Members need to see this to understand the specific limitations on Iran.  I noted the same down in an earlier post but Obama's address at the American University has the specific safeguards against Iran acquiring nuclear weapons.  He also talks about Iran's conventional capability and the challenges Iran's leaders will have against balancing military modernization against the social welfare needs.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?327464-2/president-obama-remarks-iran-nuclear-agreement

Posted · Report post

Sorry but releasing statements doesn't prove anything and Iranians have a habit of releasing such statements.

Posted · Report post

http://theantimedia.org/the-story-you-arent-being-told-about-iran-capturing-2-american-vessels/

What do the members think of this ?

They are saying the Iranians have found ways to disrupt the GPS systems

GPS spoofing/blocking is widely available. This was not Iranian technology that was used. From what I recall, the Russian Avtobaza system was used. Incidentally this is part of S-400 that India is trying to get.

Posted · Report post

When will military sanctions be lifted from Iran ? Imagine the buying spree there, for its airforce ? Their entire fleet needs replacing. My thoughts will be on them purchasing lots of Su27 "derivatives" for the most part.

Posted · Report post

Well they get an immediate $50B relief and their dilapidated airlines etc. need to be upgraded very quickly.  I think letting those old Iranian airliners in would be a problem for many countries.

Posted · Report post

Airbus and Iran are acting like Bharat when they are signing these deals.

Airbus has a huge hurdle is to how it will by pass all those sanctions and embargoes which are placed by the U.S. Treasury, State and Congress. The US has released all those sanctions that placed because of Iran's nuclear and missile weaponization program.

Check yourself out how deep and extensive sanctions are placed by the US Treasury on Iran:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/iran.aspx

What I am getting to is that Airbus uses a lot of parts manufactured by US companies. These companies can't just start supply equipment to Airbus distend to Iran. The biggest issues will be engines which are GE made and other equipment made by BAE Systems, Armor Holdings, GE, Honeywell, etc.

Posted · Report post

How come Iran is so good with Radar systems development? What can Pakistan learn from Irans development of Radars? They are so far ahead of Pakistan in this particular space.

Ready to Compete: Is Iran’s Bavar-373 System an Answer to Russia’s S-300?

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160823/1044540026/russia-iran-missile-defense.html

I hope it's more effective than their stealth fighter/gunships and tanks. There's an awful lot of bluster and hype with their military developments and very little substance. The only developments that seem to stand the test of time and battle seem to be TOT systems, typically of Chinese or Russian origin.

ndad

SSAAD and S.Q like this

Posted · Report post

I hope it's more effective than their stealth fighter/gunships and tanks. There's an awful lot of bluster and hype with their military developments and very little substance. The only developments that seem to stand the test of time and battle seem to be TOT systems, typically of Chinese or Russian origin.

ndad

There is enough evidence to suggest that the Iranians have been quite effective in building radar systems, there are whole suite of different types demonstrated, so i do think it is a skill that they have effectively mastered.

Posted · Report post

Nobody knows.  They themselves announce it and after a few years nobody knows the operational status of the platform.  I doubt their operational capacity is anywhere close to what they claim.  There is only so much you can produce inhouse without collaboration and support.  Unless they have a ton of expats returning and joining the defense industry, I do not see how Iran can have as much capability as they claim to have.

Posted · Report post

Iranians are able to build one of everything. 

Just the other day they displayed their very first jet-fighter engine which was the mirror copy of GE J-85 which powers F-5

Posted · Report post

I went on a hunch and purchased the digital version of the book 'Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat'

Being pre-teen during the Iran Iraq war and being a devoted fan of the Tomcat throughout (I probably put together a dozen models), I felt I had get this this.

While this book re-counts only pilot's stories and there are no names or documented evidence, I still feel its an insightful read.

At the height of Iran-Iraq war and the media (military or otherwise) would always give the Iraqi side, with its more modern air force inflicted unlimited harm on Iran's largely grounded jets. This book gives a decent insight into the sort of operations a smaller and cannibalized fleet carried out against the Iraqis. Once released from prison by the Revolutionary Guards, the US-trained pilots were true tacticians in employing their weapons in a way otherwise never done with the Phoenix/AWG-9 till then or since then.

I had a bit of skepticism reading into this: what if this was all the Iranian pilots that were interviewed wished they had fought the war vs. what they actually did so take it as half truth.

The conclusion of the war does not support my skepticism: despite the embargo on Iran, and very limited  new supplies of weapons (other than what they were getting through Israel and other sources at top $), while the Iraqi's essentially had access to replacement aircraft from Soviets, and new F-1s as well as Exocets, the war essentially was a stalemate. Iraqi Air Force, despite its repeated attempts at attacking Kharg Island and supposedly a more modernized and a fresher fleet through the 8 year war, never had true air superiority either over the Gulf or over Iran. If they had, I doubt they would have agreed to a the UN ceasefire and without any gains to show. In the process Iraq lost its Mig-23s, Tu-22s, and even Mig-25s.

If you take the skeptic hat off, its impressive to see that if more than half is true, that the Iranians were able to employ combined air operations with tanker and strike aircraft, while providing air cover and AWACS capability through AWG-9.

I am sure the CIA and the US Navy was closely seeing the use of the F-14 against Soviet jamming equipment and aircraft to see how its own primary fleet defense fighter would act against a real scenario in a NATO-Warsaw Pact conflict. I hope when that becomes old news , somebody will write about (in our lifetimes) about the learnings the US took into its own tactics and improvements to keep the F-14 ahead of the Soviet tech for another 14-16 years.

mominkhan, Aziz and IbnAbdullah like this

Posted · Report post

Iran, Pakistan to jointly produce defense equipment: Top general

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:14AM
  1. Home
  2. Iran
  3. Politics
Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain (C) meets with Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri in Islamabad on July 18, 2018. (Photo by IRNA)Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain (C) meets with Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri in Islamabad on July 18, 2018. (Photo by IRNA)

Iran’s top military commander has emphasized the importance of enhancing defense relations with Pakistan, saying the two neighbors are seeking to jointly manufacture defense equipment.

Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri made the remarks following a meeting with Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain in Islamabad on Tuesday.

During the talks, the two sides touched on the commonalities between Iran and Pakistan as well as the almost 1000-kilometer border between the neighbors, stressing that Tehran-Islamabad ties should be further enhanced in different areas.

The Iranian general said that during his visit, he had discussed with Pakistani officials topics such as military education, pilot training, military drills and contacts between the two countries’ defense industries.

Iran and Pakistan, he said, are working to jointly build defense products and present them as a joint achievement of Muslim nations.

Additionally on Tuesday, Baqeri sat down with Chief of Pakistani Naval Staff Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi.

The two officials discussed ways to bolster maritime cooperation between Iran and Pakistan and increase joint naval maneuvers.

Baqeri arrived in Pakistan on Monday for an official visit to the country.

He has already held talks with his Pakistani counterpart, General Qamar Javed Bajwa, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Zubair Mahmood Hayat and Foreign Minister Abdullah Hussain Haroon.