Forum Downtime

20 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Are mods are that the forum was inaccessible for most of yesterday?

Every time I tried logging on, the error message, attached, appeared. I know others had a similar issue

Thanks

ndad

post-1444-0-58162800-1415057561_thumb.jp

Fahad L likes this

Posted · Report post

There are some technical issues going for the past ten days. Zain is on top of it and our apologies for the inconvenience.

SSAAD and Fahad L like this

Posted · Report post

Zain,

Can you share with us what problem are your having exactly?  Perhaps, someone on this very forum can help you with this persistent driver error.

A Khan and ndad like this

Posted · Report post

Anyone else get connection issues over the last few days. Server error? Couldn't get onto the website or the forum.

ndad

Posted · Report post

Some how the payment was not posted therefore, it was down. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Posted · Report post

Was the forum down for other members too?

Was there an underlying cause?

ndad

Posted · Report post

Yes the forum was down. This has nothing to do with the upcoming upgrade. The server was down and Zain can tell you more about it.

Posted · Report post

Could Not access Pakdef, was it under attack or offline, said database need updation?

anyone else facing this constant issue?

Posted · Report post

No, it was only the forum which down, however, the rest of the site was up and running. The forum had tech issue which got resolved. Sorry for the downtime

S.Q likes this

Posted · Report post

Forum has been down again for a couple of days. Is there a reason for this? And when this does happen,can the mods please use the twitter account to update the followers.

Thank you

ndad

Posted · Report post

Won't bother repeating the above comments again. They're still valid.

ndad

A Khan and Gaf like this

Posted · Report post

The background image needs to change as well. We don't have A-5s flying around anymore, neither do we have those ships (IIRC).

Posted · Report post

I am not sure who brought it back to life and how, but I am thankful. I had already gone through the grief / disappoint phase when this first shut down , I don't know when and didn't realize how long I have been part of the community that i missed the regular reads (and some contributions) . Life wasn't the same for the last however months has been. I tried to join one of the other defense forums but it wasn't the same. Never even got a log-in because I thought it was just not what I wanted. Thats loyalty.

Thanks to the admin that brought this back to life. And also, if there is anything the community needs to do to crowdfund this so it can stay up, please let me know. Glad to contribute :)

H Rehman likes this

Posted · Report post

How long has this site been up for btw?

Posted · Report post

Assalamaoalukum

I am sure I will get permanently banned for saying this but someone has to say it and I will be ok if I get booted out. 

This forum has gone down the drain over the last year or so. Most of the time it's either down or we are told to shut up and arbitrarily face post removals etc. 

Who is running this site? What is going on behind the scenes ? Syed when you used to run this site and I joined it almost 20 years ago the quality and quantity was so much better. Over the years I have gotten used to waking up and after namaz visiting this site before anything. I contributed my fair share by putting material on this site, everytime financial contribution was required I did not hesitate and contributed, I posted what ever limited knowledge I had. We come here to read, learn and share. Obviously some of us do not have inside sources and extensive knowledge of the military and depend only on reading what is posted. Some of us are mocked for posting sometimes unverified or even wrong information. I doubt many of us deliberately do that. 

I wont be shocked if the forum disappears again without warning and members are left wondering what happened. This shows total lack of respect towards members and elite attitude of some moderators. 

I am ready to say goodbye unless moderators clearly explain what leads to these downtimes . I was told the money is required to move servers and update contacts and I whole heartedly contributed. If there are other issues let's share with the members or let the forum slide to oblivion.

TKhan, Aziz, Uzair and 2 others like this

Posted · Report post

Zeeshan, I would agree. I've been visiting and using this forum since the late 90s (not under the same username since then). We used to have really critical, in depth discussions. Even before the recent lengthy downtime, it seemed that any critical debate about defence matters was just not tolerated, and there doesn't seem to be any change in the Ostrich mentality of burying one's head to the recent significant developments in the region.

Uzair likes this

Posted · Report post

Since the mods are volunteers are running this as a community service, I can't take the strong view for the outage. I did notice that months prior to shut down, the number of postings was going down. I wonder if that may have been as much a contributor factor: community just wasn't very active. Members weren't contributing as much

Posted · Report post

PakDef Members,

I just wanted to let you know that I have brought the site/forums back online.  Anyone that has an issue can feel free to contact me if there is any issues with the forums.  I will maintain the digital side of things and make sure we stay up as long as SyedA is okay with it.  Seems like everything is working and functional so far.

I am sorry that we closed doors but that decision was made because of the fact that participation was falling on the site.  And I was closing down UrbanPK so the site would have needed a new server.  The decision to shut down was a joint decision after I had to take a step back from the digital sphere a little bit for work.  I will keep both UrbanPK and PakDef up despite participation as long as SyedA is okay with it.

Amar, TKhan and HRK like this

Posted · Report post

PakDef Members,

I just wanted to let you know that I have brought the site/forums back online.  Anyone that has an issue can feel free to contact me if there is any issues with the forums.  I will maintain the digital side of things and make sure we stay up as long as SyedA is okay with it.  Seems like everything is working and functional so far.

I am sorry that we closed doors but that decision was made because of the fact that participation was falling on the site.  And I was closing down UrbanPK so the site would have needed a new server.  The decision to shut down was a joint decision after I had to take a step back from the digital sphere a little bit for work.  I will keep both UrbanPK and PakDef up despite participation as long as SyedA is okay with it.

That's all fine. But why couldn't you announce this beforehand? Just silence for however many months is unprofessional.